PDA

View Full Version : shopsmith mark v

Eugene Malone
07-31-2007, 7:21 PM
Hi all, I'm pretty new at woodwork and havent got much space to work in and I've just came across this Shopsmith Mark V. I'm just a hobbiest with a hope to make something that Her Indoors and I can use about the place.
This looks to be the "Real Mcoy"the whole shebang rolled into one. Has anyone got anything to say about it, is there anyone out there using one for someone like me with little space and less experince would it be a good buy .Any info. or advice will gladly be accepted. Rgds. Boysie Slan Leat.

Bruce Shiverdecker
07-31-2007, 7:48 PM
Evening. I have had one. If you are very organized, it can do a very nice job and some swear by them. I swore AT mine and sold it to get a shop full of toys. As far as price is concerned, a used 500 should go for around 400.00, a 510 for around 5-600.00 and a 520 for about 800.00. I got a 510, DC, and a bunch of small attachments, plud 60 BD/FT Red Oak for 900.00 - KEPT the Oak!

Bruce

Steve Rowe
07-31-2007, 7:48 PM
I would look at this thread if considering a Shopsmith. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=45486&highlight=shopsmith
With space limitations it may fit the bill but the machine does have its limitations. There are several different versions of the Mark V out there and the later ones have likely resolved some issues with the earlier models. Used is your best bet and they come on the market frequently.
Steve

Ron Jones near Indy
07-31-2007, 7:50 PM
Eugene,

I have a SS that I use for a drill press, disk sander and a little lathe work. It is a very good drill press and disk sander and a fair lathe for small work. The horizontal boring setup is OK too. Having said that, I feel the SS is a very poor table saw due to the tilting top and stationary arbor. A tilting arbor is much easier to use and will handle a wider range of cuts and stock.

You must allow time for change overs from one operation to another. This is a major draw back to some people--not all people. It's a personal judgment call.

Quality used machines are fairly priced IMHO. I purchased mine used and it was my first major tool purchase. New machines are pretty expensive as are accessories.

The quality of the work produced on a SS is determined by the skill and patience of the person doing the work--not the machine itself. Many people have made very nice projects using a SS.

I will keep and maintain the one I have. I wouldn't buy another, but I don't regret getting it either.

Richard Wagner
07-31-2007, 8:44 PM
eugene,

I have a Shopsmith Mark V, Model 520. Originally, my SS was a 510 but I have upgraded because of the improvements in the fence system. It has been said that the tilting table is a problem and that is probably true for anyone who really needs a standalone shop. As a hobbyist, I find that is only a minimal frustration. I don't believe there is anything that I am likely to want to cut that can not be done on the SS.

Time lost to changeovers, yeah, maybe. No doubt if you are in the business and you need to turn out kitchen cabinet uppers in less than 10 minutes. If I could do that, I wouldn't admit to it. SWMBO would want that sort of performance every time I set out to build something.

I have mine because I am limited in floor space. If I had room for a table saw, jointer, surface planer, drill press, router table. belt sander, disk sander and lathe and horizontal drilling machine, along with two workbenches and a glueing station I would probably have standalone equipment. In that case, I would add a second table saw and a large belt sander and a really good dust collection system.:)

Mike Heidrick
07-31-2007, 8:52 PM
I got one when I bought my original Delta TS as part of the buy. It was missing pieces but those have since been replaced on ebay. I own dedicated tools as well now so mostly it gets used as a sanding station and I also hev its big belt sander and the jigsaw. Lathe is my other favorite use and for what I do it works great. I used to LOVE it as a drill press until the stop kept slipping after a few cuts and now I have the Steel City press instead. Buy one used. I have seen MarkVs for $200-$300 locally. I know if you watch craigslist you will get a deal on one.

Randal Stevenson
07-31-2007, 9:01 PM
What parts of it are you wanting to use? You might also check out the Eurekazone section since you said you have a small shop. The Turners forum for better, reasonable lathes.

Everyones needs are different and while you can only be the judge of yours, start watching garage sales, you might be supprised.

David DeCristoforo
07-31-2007, 10:06 PM
Shopsmith:
Amazing as a drill press...
Pretty good horiz. boring machine
Decent as a very light duty lathe...
OK for light disk sanding....
Very bad as a table saw...in addition to the above mentioned issues, the saw table is too high as is the machine's center of gravity. Furthermore, the idea of the blade arbor being secured by a single set screw scares the #$%# out of me.

Don Bullock
08-01-2007, 12:03 AM
I had one many years ago that my wife inherited. I found it difficult to change from one task to another. Since I had a drill press, table saw and a RAS available to me at the time, I used the ShopSmith solely as a lathe. I turned a lot of wood on it and really learned a lot about turning wood. Several years back as part of cleaning out the garage I gave it to a friend.

Steven Wilson
08-01-2007, 12:28 AM
Good idea for a machine, poorly executed. I would pass on the Shopsmith and consider something else.

Al Killian
08-01-2007, 12:44 AM
This is one of those love it or hate machines, just like the RAS. I have a 500 model and love it. You have to remember that it is a multi tools and not a dedicated tool. For what it is, it works great. As far as matince, there is very little that needs to be done. Mine gets used for the lathe, disk sander, dp, scroll saw and mortiser.

Eugene Malone
08-01-2007, 5:02 PM
Good idea for a machine, poorly executed. I would pass on the Shopsmith and consider something else.

HI , I am using this quote by Steven as a general consensis as redards the shopsmith mark v.My tks.to BRUCE,STEVE, RON,RICHARD, MIKE, RANDALL , DAVID,DON AL,who posted.
Everyone seems to be in agreement that it would not be a good investment,as I live in Ireland it makes it even less. I emailed Shopsmith and they do not have agents in Irl.so it is a nogo.
Thanks to all who took the time to put me on the straight and narrow, hope I can be of help in the future. Regds. Eugene Slan Leat.