PDA

View Full Version : How Does Youy Garden Grow

Tyler Howell
07-31-2007, 6:20 PM
Ladies and Gents,
As some of you know I'm I strong advocate of recycling. I like to compost all the appropriate kitchen, shop, and yard scraps as well.
This year some of the composted cantaloupe seeds took advantage of their rich environment to do there own thing.

Way behind in maintenance I hadn't noticed the plant sprouted fruit until the melons were well along. These chose the fence to do there deed and I don't think their stems were designed for such acrobats.

You may also know I try to be resourceful where I can with clothing.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=35143 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=35143)
Well I approached one of my lady friends for what I thought might be a viable solution to this problem and she agreed to accommodate me.

This being my first attempt at growing cantaloupe, I wanted to use all resources to see this through to maturity

Mark Engel
07-31-2007, 6:22 PM
Ahh. Melons. :)

Jude Kingery
07-31-2007, 6:28 PM
Hey Tyler, that's a good use of recycling! We, too, do the recycling thing. But don't have any cantelope yet large enough in need of support. By the way, I always put wood chips in the garden as mulch and someone very helpful here told me not to use Walnut shavings as it'll kill whatever you're trying to grow! Glad to know that! The Mesquite shavings go on the grill for steaks and ribs, nothing goes to waste! Take care, cute pictures! Jude

Joe Pelonio
07-31-2007, 6:46 PM
Very innovative method of support.

I sure wish we could grow melons like that here. My tomatoes are just the size of golf balls, green beans about 1.5" long, and they got an earlier start than usual. Last frost is about Mother's day, and by mid Spetember the growing season is over.

John Shuk
07-31-2007, 9:15 PM
I could make a post about thongs but I'd just wind up having to edit it.

Jim Becker
07-31-2007, 9:18 PM
Tyler...sometimes you are, ummm...well, you know... :D : D: :D

(Next time ask for the orange one!)

Dick Parr
07-31-2007, 9:24 PM
Way to go Tyler :D You grow them BIG in MN:eek: ;)

Al Willits
07-31-2007, 9:26 PM
I'm thinking watermelons and.....er.....nevermind.......:)

Al

John Miliunas
07-31-2007, 10:03 PM
Yeah, I always knew you were the resourceful type there, my friend! :) Dern good thing you don't have any runaway cucumbers!!!! :eek: :D :cool:

Steve Clardy
07-31-2007, 10:50 PM
Bawawawhahah :eek: :D :D :D :D

Robert Mickley
07-31-2007, 11:44 PM
my melons aren't that big, but I have green beans that are 11 inches long.

Jim Becker
08-01-2007, 10:08 AM
Dern good thing you don't have any runaway cucumbers!!!!

Let's not encourage him too much, John...:o