PDA

View Full Version : 1st attempt: Bent Lamination

Fred Gross
07-31-2007, 4:33 PM
Just finished up with a couple of projects before the tools get packed away for the pending move. The first one is for the wife of a Marine killed in Iraq; the flag case that was given to her by the Marine Corps will sit on top of the case.

The second one is my first attempt at bent lamination and turned out all right. It wasn't as hard as I thought, but it is time consuming to make the individual laminations. I had to use wedged tenons to draw the sides in a little bit to keep things parallel on the sides. It really helped that I drew a full-sized plan for determining the angles for the face frame.

Randy Denby
07-31-2007, 8:32 PM
Great work....by a great guy!

Syd Lorandeau
07-31-2007, 8:40 PM
Fred,
Nice job on the wookworking but the contents are mind blowing. You should feel very proud!!!
Syd

Jeff Heil
07-31-2007, 10:46 PM
Beautiful work Fred. What a tribute and treasure for the family!

Roy Wall
07-31-2007, 11:30 PM
Fred -

Those look beautiful. I am very proud of our Armed forces - awesome.

Evan Stockton
08-01-2007, 8:04 AM
I'm finding that my responses to many of the pieces created by members here are along the lines of "wow"...But this certainly goes beyond a simple wow...Very beautiful work, there. As a former service member, and particularly a former Marine, these two works really represent something - It goes beyond functionality. You've done a helluva job. Thanks for sharing.

Jeff Raymond
08-01-2007, 8:29 AM
Did you resaw and bend and glue?

If so, how thick were your strips?

Nice work.

Fred Gross
08-01-2007, 9:10 AM
Jeff,

Yes, I did re-saw/bend/glue the jarrah. I cut them slightly over 1/8" thick then ran them through my planer down to 1/8". I probably should have gone a little thinner......it would have made getting the laminations bent around the form a little easier. To make them thinner, I would've had to make an auxilary bed for my planer.

Thank you all for the kind words.