PDA

View Full Version : machinists lathe

Matt Wolboldt
07-31-2007, 11:03 AM
Hey everyone. I'm slowly taking the plunge into turning, but I'm reticent to drop alot of money on it. I have access to a machinists lathe, and I was wondering if a)it's suitable for turning wood safely b) If I can manufacture or buy a tool rest adaptor so I can use the wood tools as opposed to single pointing it. Cheers

David Epperson
07-31-2007, 12:02 PM
Depending upon the size and speed range, I see no reason why not. As for the wood working tool rest, an add on or replacement for the tool rest/toolpost should be easy to fabricate. So long as the owner of the lathe doesn't mind the possibility of having to clean pitch and sawdust off of it occasionally (metal workers can be like that at times :D and since metal lathes rarely have dust collectors, there will be some settle on there after you're done. no matter how well you clean up right away.)
If I had some way to get to the saw dust pile that would get created, that's what I'd be doing with the lathe I have (cause it would be perfect for that - I'm working on it. :D )

Steven Wilson
07-31-2007, 12:22 PM
As you know the tooling is different, you'll also be looking at different drive options (take off the 3-jaw chuck, add a drive center, get a 4 jaw chuck for bowls) and tailstock centers (rotating live centers for WW). You'll also have to thoroughly clean all elements of the carrige assembly after each use or you will gum up the lathe's ability to do metal work. You'll also need to remove all metal shavings and coolant prior to turning wood. You'll probably find that the headstock and tailstock tapers are different than what is normaly available in woodturning machines as well as different headstock threading. So, you'll need to either modify woodturning accessories or machine your own. For spindle turning you'll probably find that your metal working lathe doesn't turn fast enough and that the likely swing is too restrictive for bowl turning. The metal working lathes are really useful in woodturning when you have a need for the precision offered by metal working tooling. As a standalone woodturning lathe they're rather lacking. Cleaning will be the major ongoing issue.

Matt Wolboldt
07-31-2007, 1:40 PM
Thanks for the input.

John Huber
07-31-2007, 7:57 PM
Hello Matt,

I've been using a metal working lathe for woodturning for about a year. Have done about ten projects on it. What the other people said is true. BUT it doesn't have to be that hard. At MicroMark.com, you'll find an adapter to adapt their metalworking mini-lathe tool post for woodturning chisels; should work for you. Forget the various chucks; just use a faceplate, either the one for the metalworking lathe or make ones out of baltic birch. It's not as easy to mount and dismount workpieces, but it does work.

joe greiner
08-01-2007, 9:18 AM
Food wrap and old newspapers are your friends. Drape over the bed (tape pieces together if necessary) to keep the bed clean. Tape down if you run a DC hose to the lathe. Works on wood lathes, too, when you're applying finish on the lathe - French polishing, dripless spray at low low speed, etc.

Joe