PDA

View Full Version : Norm interview on Popular Woodworking website

David Cramer
07-31-2007, 7:29 AM
There is a pretty neat interview with Norm on Popular Woodworking's website. It is a little over 10 minutes long and was taped at the AWFS in Las Vegas. I was wondering why none of the projects that he has done for the upcoming season had a project title next to it. Now I know why! He said the first 9 shows were dedicated to building a kitchen. Something different for sure, but will be neat to watch next Jan. of 2008. There are still 4 more projects to be built for next season with the next one airing on the webcam on Sept. 18th. I am really, really gonna miss that guy when he's no longer doing the show.

There are also interviews with Scott Phillips of the American Woodshop, and John Economaki, the Bridge City Toolworks owner and founder.

I just found it yesterday and thought I'd pass it along for those who might be interested. Have a great day!

Dave

Anthony Anderson
07-31-2007, 9:12 AM
I am really, really gonna miss that guy when he's no longer doing the show.
Dave

Same here. Norm has done more to encourage woodworkers, than any person I can think of. He has taken a pastime of a few and popularized it. He seems to be the common ordinary person that everyone can relate to. Many credit, and thank, him for their love of woodworking, myself included. I know there are the people that criticize a particular project or something that they have seen on the show, but those people are probably not happy most of the time anyway, and have to pick at something or someone. But speaking for myself, I have learned more from Norm and this website, than any other woodworker, or magazine (and by trial and error, and error, and error:D). Yep, Norm will be missed, but he is young and has many good years left, so hopefully he will be around for a long time. Thanks, Bill

David Cramer
07-31-2007, 10:29 AM
Bill, I couldn't agree more! I wonder how many woodworkers can say that they've took on and accomplished building such an involved project as the highboy? I think the percentage would be very, very low. I met him at a Home and Garden Show back in 1998. He spoke to my 3 year old son and I just like he did in the interview. Total kindness and truly down to earth.

One guy during the question and answer section said "I could build all the stuff you had if I had your tools". Norm handled him with class and had the perfect response, and yes, I'm sure he's heard that statement before. He is the type of person that I am glad "made it" and I truly enjoy his shows.

I am not saying that he's old, upper 50's, but I read somewhere that there are 2-3 years left with him as the host. I hope I am as wrong as wrong can be on that account, but I swear I read that last year. I know the day will come, but I was kinda bummed out for the rest of that day (seriously). It's like the beginning of 60 minutes without the stopwatch. You get that pit in your stomach.

The New Yankee Workshop without Norm could be another woodshow, but it could never be The New Yankee Workshop. He is one guy that I will never ever understand that someone could bash. He is a class act all the way around.

Anyways, it was a cool interview, in my opinion anyways.

Dave

Gary Muto
07-31-2007, 10:57 AM
It's great to see Norm's enthusiasm as well as his class. Like Sam Maloof and Norm, I hope to be woodworking for a long, long time.

John Lucas
07-31-2007, 11:24 AM
Plain and simple. Norm got me back into woodworking in the 70's...and hooked ever since. I did 3 of Norm's projects before I was able to make own plans. Even though I have "graduated", wife and I still plan saturday afternoon around his show.

Chuck Lenz
07-31-2007, 2:06 PM
I agree, I've allways enjoyed Norm's shows. He's patient, down to earth and seems to be a all around good guy that knows what he's talking about. But then again, if I was makeing the money he does, I'd probably have alot better outlook on life also.

Gary Keedwell
07-31-2007, 5:20 PM
I agree, I've allways enjoyed Norm's shows. He's patient, down to earth and seems to be a all around good guy that knows what he's talking about. But then again, if I was makeing the money he does, I'd probably have alot better outlook on life also.

This is a very good thread and like already said, people who bash Norm will always find someone or something to bash. It is their nature.
Also, I know alot of people who make alot of money and I liked them more when they were poor. Norm seems the same now as he did 20 years ago. I am not ashamed to let people know that Norm got me back to woodworking.;)

Gary K.

Curt Harms
07-31-2007, 7:18 PM
and ain't it fun??!! I had no intention of getting into woodworking when I came across the New Yankee Workshop.

In response to the "I could build that too if I had your tools" crowd I recall he did a project a number of years ago using just a table saw & hand tools. Sure having the gadgets is nice and the tools sales are Delta & Porter Cable's "return" on the sponsorship dollar but it still takes skill to use those tools.