PDA

View Full Version : Small score on wood

dennis kranz
07-31-2007, 12:39 AM
A couple weeks ago a big storm went though a golf coarse not to far away and kicked butt. Took a run up there today to see if anthing was left. To make a long story short you can still haul it away by the truck fulls. Not having a truck I still grabed a couple logs that they seemed all to willing to get rid of. Some of this stuff has some great color. I was able to get a couple of realy nice slabs on the larger piece. Problem is they are bigger than my mini can turn. That just means they have some time to dry out. Hope in another year or two to up grade in size.
Dennis

JOHN VITOSKY
07-31-2007, 6:59 AM
Sycamore is some awesome stuff to turn. It requires very little sanding/finishing. It rarely crack too. Nice score

Brett Baldwin
07-31-2007, 2:08 PM
By the time you get the blank into round form, the skinnier two logs will be fine for the mini. I'd slap some sealer on the bigger ones to keep any checking to a minimum while you are waiting for a bigger lathe to fall in your lap.

Mike Vickery
07-31-2007, 3:50 PM
If that is the Eucalyptus that was discussed before, treat it with kid gloves. It loves to crack and move.

Nice score.