PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol bath for bowl blanks?

Rob Leslie
07-30-2007, 10:46 PM
So, I've searched and read many of the DNA threads related to soaking rough-turned bowl blanks. Does anyone apply the same soaking and drying technique to bowl blanks before turning? If so, what has your experience been? I recently acquired a nice supply of green American Elm. I've cut some up into bowl and platter blanks and coated with sealer on the end grain. I'm wondering if I could accelerate the drying/warping phase with DNA and then turning the blanks to finish stage the first time around.....

Your wisdom/experience is appreciated.

Rob

Bernie Weishapl
07-31-2007, 2:10 AM
I am no expert but I believe what Dave told me. He said rough the bowl, soak in DNA and then finish turn. He said you can't rush it. I don't think you can soak a big bowl blank long enough to get the DNA in the wood all the way thru. I have only been turning a couple of years now and don't think it would work. Someone with more experience will jump in.

Harvey M. Taylor
07-31-2007, 8:10 AM
What Bernie said. It wont soak in far enough. A novice's opinion

Bob Hampton
07-31-2007, 8:50 AM
Hi Rob
I dont get on here to much just lurk mostly but this topic interested me as I do it alot.
I dont use the DNA method but i do use the dish soap method ...same thing only using dish soap instead ...
I use 1 gallon of cheap dish soap to 1 gallon of water ...I mix this in a 3 gallon tub ...
Recently I came into a bunch of alder wood ...fresh cut so very green...I took a few pieces and rough turned them with 1"walls and down to about 1" center..soaked them for about 5 days and let them "air" dry..its been close to a month now and still no cracks at all ...some warping but thats ok...at the same time i turned another of the same size and used latex paint on it ...cracked all to hec in less then a week ....another plain and set on the self did the same ...so I guess it works. I also have turned several 8" bowls of myrtle and cherry that i did the same way last winter and they are finished ...still in good shape.

So that might give you some ideas to try
Bob