PDA

View Full Version : Corian

Leo Voisine
07-30-2007, 7:34 PM
I have an opportunity to buy some corian from a private sale.

I don't know the value of the product.

Right now I don't know the thickness of size.

I think the stuff for sale is 1/4 or 1/2 thick

The seller is beating around the bush a bit - and making me nervous. I want the corian, but don't know the value.

Is there some way for me to figure the value - like wood has board feet. I can figure out just about any pile of wood from Board feet.

What about Corian

Mike Hood
07-30-2007, 8:01 PM
I guess it depends on the thickness and colors. Some is worth quite a bit (to some of us) :), and others may be worth very little.

I'd ask the square footage, colors and minimum size of the pieces you're talking about.

Mike Null
07-30-2007, 9:40 PM
Leo

My guess is that not a lot of people have a use for it. If these are left over pieces make him an offer. You can always go up.

Keith Outten
07-31-2007, 5:31 AM
Leo,

The wholesale price varies between 6.5 to 11 cents per square inch depending mostly on the color. The price of 1/4" and 1/2" thick Corian is about the same.

Corian is very valuable to me, I use a lot of it for just about any type of project you can imagine. Corian engraves well, routes like wood and finishing is simple and easy without the need for spray equipment. Corian is an excellent choice for both interior and exterior projects and you can thermal bend it using a stove or heat press. Glue seams are near invisible when you use Dupont's color matched adhesive and hidden joints can be done with silicone.

Steven Wilson
07-31-2007, 10:11 AM
Keith, I have some scrap and the little brochure said to use CA glue to join pieces (i.e. for making pen blanks). If I want to make small turned objects with Corian would CA be the ticket or is the Dupont glue available for mere mortals?

Keith Outten
07-31-2007, 6:52 PM
Steven,

Ca glue works fine for pen blanks and small projects, and is a bit cheaper than Dupont's adhesive. However, Dupont's adhesive is forever as it welds both pieces together.

Although Corian isn't available for purchase unless you are a certified installer I wouldn''t think they would have a problem selling the adhesive to those without certification. I can call my local distributor tomorrow and find out. The small tubes are just over 8 bucks wholesale and you need a special gun that is about 30 dollars.

Dupont used to sell a squeeze pack of their adhesive that you mixed in a container and squeezed the container to mix the adhesive. These were great for small jobs and for those who didn't own the special applicator gun. I'll ask and see if these are still available.