PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Tamarind bowl picture

Don Farr
01-22-2004, 7:47 AM
I guess this is the coolest thing I have turned yet. :cool: The pictures don't do the grain justice. Sorry about the picture quality, but I was in a big hurry to take them and get to work on time.
The blanks came from those great folks at Curly Woods. One down and two to go. Oh! the finish is WAX! :D

Thanks for looking.

Glenn Hodges
01-22-2004, 8:51 AM
Nice form, and the spalting makes it look as if an artist painted it. Good work.

Brad Schafer
01-22-2004, 8:52 AM
very nice, don. spalting is remarkable,

b

Dick Parr
01-22-2004, 8:54 AM
Very nice Don

Dave Brandt
01-22-2004, 8:59 AM
Very cool spalting. At first it reminded me of continent outlines on a globe. But after staring at it too long, I've seen a roaring polar bear, an attacking eagle, a sea lion, and Wile E. Coyote! Gotta get off this medication.

Jim Becker
01-22-2004, 9:03 AM
Great job, Don. Adding the rim detail was a good thought.

Ted Shrader
01-22-2004, 9:16 AM
Don -

Very nice bowl. Nice looking wood figure. I really like the extra added touch on the rim.

Ted

Jason Tuinstra
01-22-2004, 9:59 AM
Don, great looking bowl. The spalted maple really gives this piece some nice distinction. Keep up the good work!

Don Farr
01-22-2004, 10:37 AM
Thanks everyone for the compliments. The new Hamlet tools really make a difference, although I did have one pretty severe catch, but it was early on and I was able to turn it out. The heavy duty scraper makes quick work of removing material from the inside of the bowl.
The gouge still intimidates me some. Mostly because I can't explain why I get the catches that I do.

Mark Singer
01-22-2004, 10:40 AM
Don,
Beautiful!!!!

Bob Lasley
01-22-2004, 10:48 AM
Way to go Don!

The wood is gorgeous and the form is great. I too, like the rim. I think you've got this spinny thing working for you now.

Bob

Ryan Singer
01-22-2004, 11:12 AM
Right On Don!!! :d:d:d

Tom Sweeney
01-22-2004, 12:14 PM
Nice job Don,
The wood and the form are great - I like the rim treatment also. Definately a keeper :cool:

Steve Inniss
01-22-2004, 5:48 PM
Thanks everyone for the compliments. The new Hamlet tools really make a difference, although I did have one pretty severe catch, but it was early on and I was able to turn it out. The heavy duty scraper makes quick work of removing material from the inside of the bowl.
The gouge still intimidates me some. Mostly because I can't explain why I get the catches that I do.

Don,
The heavy duty scraper is the most efficient tool for the bottom of bowls.

I assume you are talking about catches while working the inside, right?
Are you using a bowl gouge?
Did you regrind the profile? -Take a photo of it and post.
If that spalted tamarind is like sp maple(it looks similar), you'll be going from hard sections to some that are almost dry and corky. Also, it will distort. All leading to catches.
Other than that you are likely rotating too far counterclockwise once you have the nose in the wood and the bevel is rubbing.
Practice-practice-practice. -Steve