PDA

View Full Version : Finish bookcase

Brian Keith
07-30-2007, 3:33 PM
I just finished a bookcase and am getting ready to stain and finish. Right now it is assembled, should I disassemble it to stain or stain it with it together?

Nancy Laird
07-30-2007, 3:41 PM
I would stain and finish it before assembly to ensure a good finish and no puddles in the corners. However, if you are going to use glue to assemble, then mask off the "glue-together" parts with blue painter's tape so you don't get stain or finish on that portion--glue doesn't adhere well to finished wood (except when you don't want it to - DAMHIKT!!)

Nancy

Mike Cutler
07-30-2007, 5:46 PM
I agree with Nancy, especially since you are going to stain.

Be sure and post a pic when you get finished.

Art Mann
07-30-2007, 7:45 PM
Hey guys, take note that the OP says he has already assembled the piece. It is too late to finish it before assembly. Since it is already assembled, I would be concerned about weakening the structure by removing and replacing the fasteners. What is the problem with finishing the completed assembly?

Nancy Laird
07-30-2007, 7:50 PM
Art, he didn't say HOW it is assembled. It may be still in clamps, ready to be glued up. If it is, it would be easy to take it apart; even with screws, taking it apart once won't significantly weaken it.

If he wants to finish the completed assembly, I would definitely recommend HVLP spraying of the finish after wiping on the stain (brush on then wipe down with tee-shirt material). We do our furniture that way all the time.

Nancy

Art Mann
07-30-2007, 7:59 PM
Perhaps the OP will elaborate.

Brian Keith
08-02-2007, 11:48 PM
Bookcase is already assembled and stained. Now I just need a finish and not sure what to go with and how to put it on, acouple of the shelves are only 4 or so inches apart.

Tim Sproul
08-03-2007, 12:35 AM
acouple of the shelves are only 4 or so inches apart.

Don't apply a film finish to those surfaces. Perhaps a thinned coat or two of a wipe-on finish ... like poly or shellac.

IMO/IME, bookshelves generally aren't abused. Most folks place their books on the shelves and the worst the shelves see is an occasional dusting....if even that :D.

A kids bookcase is an entirely different story. But a small space like the 4 inches isn't going to be very visible nor is it going to be accessible enough to see much abuse. I wouldn't fret too much about it. Next time....plan a bit further ahead. In general, a project begins well before you lay your hands on any wood. Figuring out how to finish it happens early.

Brian Keith
08-03-2007, 2:34 AM
Tim I did plan ahead now the person I built this for has decided he doesnt want to finish it himself like we first planned now it is up to me.