PDA

View Full Version : Ash Bore

Frank Kobilsek
07-30-2007, 3:13 PM
What happens when the Emerald Ash Bore is found in your County? This was announced a couple weeks ago here and my local nursery man is telling me that certain restrictions are about to be put in place. For example no ash wood will be allowed to cross the county line larger than 1" cube. He claims that it will be illegal for me to sell bowls etc made from ash unless of course they fit in a 1" cube. I'd love to hear from someone whose County has restrictions and the impact they have on you as a turner.

Frank

Brett Baldwin
07-30-2007, 3:21 PM
I would think there is some sort of treatment that you could do to kill any bugs. Heat, fuming, something like that. Soaking in DNA would kill most things I'd think.

Pete Jordan
07-30-2007, 3:25 PM
A little info:

http://www.emeraldashborer.info/

William Bachtel
07-30-2007, 3:36 PM
Ash can be moved in and out of the county as long as it has no bark, or wane on it. If you turn a Natural Edge bowl, be sure to micowave it, that will kill all the bugs. Remember no bark or wane across state or county lines. Do a search on Emerald Ash Beetle you will come up with all sorts of good information.

Tom Keen
07-30-2007, 7:41 PM
The bug lives in the bark layers of the tree. It basicly "rings" the tree and kills it. In Ohio, lumber needs to be processed..bark and a little wood needs to be removed (rough cut) and its ok for export out of state, providing a certified mill does the work. Ohio declared the whole state a problem and moving any form of ash within the state is ok.

We worry alot about this potential disaster here. Its about 25 miles away..Our 70 acres of woods is 25% ash. The only encouraging thing our forester said was "well it will give a little more room for the walnuts and cherrys to grow" !!

Tom

Tom Collins
07-30-2007, 10:20 PM
Tom,

In Ohio you may not move "any form of ash anywhere in the state". No firewood of any specie can be taken out of an EAB quarantine zone period, nor may ash logs be moved from a quarantine zone unless they are moved by loggers with a compliance agreement with the Ohio Department of Agriculture. Firewood may be brought from a non-quarantine zone into a quarantine zone but may not be taken back out. Firewood of any sort, any ash part with the bark on, ash nursery stock etc may not legally move from a non-quarantine zone through a quarantine zone and back out without meeting strict guidelines outlined by ODA. Visit the Ohio Department of Agriculture's web site. It has all the current information including laws governing movement.

Tom Collins

Bill Blasic
07-31-2007, 7:47 AM
Just a few weeks ago the EAB was discovered in PA where 4 counties are quarantined. They cut every Ash in a 1/2 mile radius (because they can only fly about a half mile) to try and stop the spread. This bug has cut right through from Michigan via Ohio to PA in a couple of years, a 1/2 mile at a time.

Tom Keen
07-31-2007, 8:51 AM
We were told that the quarantine had been extended to all Ohio counties, which allowed timber to be moved anywhere within the state, but not out of the state unless it had been sawn with the outerlayers removed.

I sure hate to be wrong with my fact and apologise if I mislead anyone. I will check out whats going on.

Sadly.. the borer will eventually make to this farm. I cant imagine what it will look like with hundreds of dead trees. Its bad enough that the elms all die when the get to a certain size.. and then there is the honeysuckle that wants to take over everything. We (mankind) sure have screwed up the gift we were given..sigh.

Thanks,
Tom

Frank Kobilsek
07-31-2007, 8:59 AM
Thanks guys, Pete's link eventually got me to an Illinois Dept of Ag site. Obviously not but to date, but descibed the rules for quarentine. It talks about restricted materials being bark and wane, indicates lumber OK but counterdics itself with a line saying no item made from ash in whole or in part may move from the quarentine area.

This morning the local radio station announced the Quarentine. I think I pass on Ash collecting until this thing gets sorted out.

Frank