PDA

View Full Version : Cutting large angles on TS

Dennis Ryan
07-30-2007, 12:29 PM
I have a need to cut a 60 degree bevel. My table saw has a maximum tilt of 45 degrees. I could put the board on end and cut it at 30 degrees, but that seems inaccurate, and especially dangerous. Any thoughts on this? some sort of a jig maybe?

I do not have many other power tools to handle this. My current plan is to mark out the cut, and cut at 45 degrees, and then plane it to the correct angle. Not a huge deal, but I'd rather not do that.

David DeCristoforo
07-30-2007, 12:43 PM
The "best" way to do this is with a tennoning jig (either "store bought" or shop made) with the blade set at 30 degrees as you have already envisioned. Your sense that this would be a dangerous operation without such a jig is correct.

Barry Beech
07-30-2007, 12:45 PM
Make a jig that will slide on your fence that is tall enough to hold the piece vertically and make the cut with the blade at 30 degrees.

Like making raised panels on your table saw.

David Epperson
07-30-2007, 1:13 PM
The tennoning jig sound like the ticket unless you tilt the blade the max 45° and use a 15° sled with it. Which is basicly just a complicated way of doing the same thing as the jig.

Alan Schwabacher
07-30-2007, 1:29 PM
Yeung Chan describes an adjustable angled fence in his "Classic joints with power tools". You can leave the blade square to the table, adjust the angle of the fence, clamp the stock to the fence, and then slide it along your rip fence for the cut. You could consider this to be an elaborate special purpose version of the tenon jig mentioned above.

James Phillips
07-30-2007, 2:48 PM
The book table saw magic has a vertical sled for just such operations

Robert Malone
07-31-2007, 6:03 AM
I made the jig Barry is talking about.
It's "h" shaped and rides the fence.

I have also built the angle sled that slides between the fence and the blade.

Clamp the work piece and don't forget the wax.

Dennis Ryan
07-31-2007, 9:29 AM
I made the jig Barry is talking about.
It's "h" shaped and rides the fence.

I have also built the angle sled that slides between the fence and the blade.

Clamp the work piece and don't forget the wax.

Thanks to all who replied. I couldn't read them all until now because at home my internet went kaput (and phone, and cable...)

It turns out though that I made just this jig. I put on more wax just as I was leaving from work, so I should be able to keep the kids up tonight while I make some serious noise in the basement :-)

About the Yeung Chan book, I didn't realize he had written any, I must be living under a rock! He is a fantastic artist though, If he is the same furniture maker I'm thinking of.

Dennis

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-31-2007, 2:16 PM
Couple guys said to make the jig. That's prolly the way to go. GOOGLE "Sine Plate"

Here's a really nice link. Make it bigger using simple trig.

http://uhv.cheme.cmu.edu/procedures/machining/appc.pdf