PDA

View Full Version : Combination machine question

Dick Sylvan
07-30-2007, 11:56 AM
I am about to take delivery on a Hammer combination machine in a week or two. I am buying this in part because my shop is small, so I am trying to sell as many of my old (i.e., redundant) tools as possible to save space. So, I was wondering if I could do without my CMS and its shop made cabinet, since I will now be able to make much more precise crosscuts with the TS than I could in the past.

Paul Canaris
07-30-2007, 12:58 PM
I would say yes, since I have owned a slider I have had no desire for a CMS.

Ted Jay
07-30-2007, 1:03 PM
I am about to take delivery on a Hammer combination machine in a week or two. I am buying this in part because my shop is small, so I am trying to sell as many of my old (i.e., redundant) tools as possible to save space. So, I was wondering if I could do without my CMS and its shop made cabinet, since I will now be able to make much more precise crosscuts with the TS than I could in the past.

Hey Dick,
How about some pictures of it and of that cabinet?
Ted

David DeCristoforo
07-30-2007, 1:34 PM
Guess I'll play "devil's advocate" here. Combination machines can be huge space savers (which is really the point with them). However, they can also be very frustrating in terms of work flow. If you, for example, had the machine set up as a shaper and you were tennoning the ends of some door rails and you blew out one piece or came up short one piece for any reason, you will have to go through a lot of extra steps to produce that one extra piece. Or maybe you are in the middle of planning stock and need to cut some pieces for another project. Again, it's a lot of hassle to have to deal with all the changeovers. For that reason, I would recommend keep any "single purpose" tools you currently have (space allowing).

Jim Nardi
07-30-2007, 1:59 PM
But I'd save the saw. The saw is mighty handy to have because it's so portable. Just try and cut a 8' board on a tablesaw.

Steven Wilson
07-30-2007, 2:33 PM
I still use mine once and awhile, especially for angle cuts. Plus the CMS is real good for cutting questionable timbers (nails), shop projects, and carpentry work.

Mark Carlson
07-30-2007, 2:55 PM
What about crown molding and cutting 4x4s. Neither can be cut on my table saw.

Norb Schmidt
07-30-2007, 3:31 PM
As a relatively new user of a full combo machine, I'd say keep it - for awhile. It all depends on how you work and the type of work you do. I personally don't use the CMS for anything other than rough cutting boards to size, I like the table saw for my precise work. I could use it for more precise work, but that takes effort to keep two tools in perfect calibration. I don't typically cut boards longer than 8 feet, which is the reasonable cut-off given my space allotment. BTW: my combo is in an area that is 17' X 20', and I can just crosscut and rip a full sheet of plywood and run the jointer (need to move it though if I need to mortise).

I personally enjoy the combo - but then again I'm not counting the seconds either (hobbiest).

Jim Becker
07-30-2007, 8:56 PM
Yes, you can, but I find that I still prefer to break down rough boards at the CMS for convenience in my shop. So, I'd say, keep yours, but perhaps store it away except when you need it for processing stock.

Rafael Carias
07-30-2007, 11:54 PM
I prefer to rough size lumber with the CMS so My vote goes for keeping it.

Don't forget to post pics of your new toy.

Dick Sylvan
07-31-2007, 12:48 AM
Ok here they are:

Paul B. Cresti
07-31-2007, 12:39 PM
I have completely gotten rid of my old SCMS station and all it's associated DC hook-up. I find the slider much easier to do all rough cutting (ripping or crosscutting) along with any finish cutting. I do still have my SCMS though because: it is more convienent to drag it around for installs, it works better for really small parts and is more convienent for compound mitering on STOCK crown profiles...other than that it does absolutely nothing. One thing to keep in mind....remember how dicey it gets to crosscut rough lumber that is bowed, cupped, etc..... well with the slider you clamp it down securely and you do not have to worry about that blade binding or kicking back at you

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-31-2007, 2:33 PM
I kept my drop saw. I never put it in a dedicated station - Instead I use it as a portable drop saw for molding, trim and other work that is being be done on a site far enough away from my slider that I can't be bothered trecking back and forth and back and forth .

Dan Racette
07-31-2007, 4:33 PM
What type of Hammer did you get? How big of a slide stroke?

I only have a 50" stroke on my MiniMax.

I currently keep my chopsaw set-up, but it is because I have ample room. I also keep it set-up so that I can chop rough lumber and keep a shaper or a saw set-up all locked in. I could certainly do without it, and probably will as I set-up some other items, as it is only a luxury item, and I could use it more in and around the house for construction projects anyway vs. in the shop.

Clear as mud?

D

Dick Sylvan
07-31-2007, 6:15 PM
It is a 78" slider, but it's not here yet. Since space is more of a premium than occasional convenience, I am probably going to sell my CMS and cabinet, if I don't have to grab my ankles too tightly!!

Scot Ferraro
07-31-2007, 7:21 PM
I cannot wait to see your pics and evaluation of the machine once you have a chance to put it through its paces...I just ordered a Hammer A3-31 Jointer/Planer and have the long wait for delivery. What options did you get for the J/P?

Scot

Mark Duginske
08-05-2007, 10:53 AM
I have a Felder saw/shaper with the stop that will extend past 100 inches.

I took my chop saw out of the shop to work on my house a couple of months ago and still have not put it back in my shop and don't expect to. A while ago I wrote and article about how I exchanged my new slider for 5 machines.
I got rid of a Unisaw, smaller MiniMax slider, large radial saw, Safety Speed Cut panel saw and a chop saw. The cost of those machines new is about the
same as my Felder. I don't miss those machine because I can do everything
better and much more accurate and efficient on my slider.

David D. has a point about change over but I do not agree with the contention that he raises. I think that his points are more applicable to a Shopsmith where the reconfiguring of the machine is a hassle. Using a slider or a combo does require some planning but I find that I never need to back up and reset the machine. I don't even make and extra part or two in case I screw up. I find that the required planning has helped me to focus on the organization of a project which is helpful.

Mark Duginske
08-05-2007, 10:57 AM

I took my chop saw out of the shop to work on my house a couple of months ago and still have not put it back in my shop and don't expect to. A while ago I wrote an article about how I exchanged my new slider for 5 machines.

I got rid of a Unisaw, smaller MiniMax slider, large radial saw, Safety Speed Cut panel saw and a chop saw. The cost of those machines new is about the same as my Felder. I don't miss those machine because I can do everything better and much more accurate and efficient on my slider.

David D. has a point about change over but I do not agree with the contention that he raises. I think that his points are more applicable to a Shopsmith where the reconfiguring of the machine is a hassle. Using a slider or a combo does require some planning but I find that I never need to back up and reset the machine. I don't even make an extra part or two in case I screw up. I find that the required planning has helped me to focus on the organization of a project which is helpful. I process some extra material for setting up the shaper which is usually the last machine I use. I find that the work flow is much more efficient with my new system.

Bart Leetch
08-05-2007, 12:07 PM

I took my chop saw out of the shop to work on my house a couple of months ago and still have not put it back in my shop and don't expect to. A while ago I wrote an article about how I exchanged my new slider for 5 machines.

I got rid of a Unisaw, smaller MiniMax slider, large radial saw, Safety Speed Cut panel saw and a chop saw. The cost of those machines new is about the same as my Felder. I don't miss those machine because I can do everything better and much more accurate and efficient on my slider.

David D. has a point about change over but I do not agree with the contention that he raises. I think that his points are more applicable to a Shopsmith where the reconfiguring of the machine is a hassle. Using a slider or a combo does require some planning but I find that I never need to back up and reset the machine. I don't even make an extra part or two in case I screw up. I find that the required planning has helped me to focus on the organization of a project which is helpful. I process some extra material for setting up the shaper which is usually the last machine I use. I find that the work flow is much more efficient with my new system.

I only do this as a hobby so I want to ask a queation. How long did it take to get used to the way your work flow has to be to use this machine? Also how about some pictures of you combo machine & shop?

tim rowledge
08-06-2007, 12:15 AM
What about crown molding and cutting 4x4s. Neither can be cut on my table saw.

4x4 is no problem with a 12" blade. Crown moulding, baseboard etc is ok in moderate lengths (say 12ft) IF it isn't too floppy. Floppy means it will bind and that is when a CMS is a win

Mark Duginske
08-06-2007, 2:12 PM
Bart,

Here is a picture of the saw/shaper with the band saw at the end of the table. The saw/shaper is at a 45 degree angle to the south wall. I will shot some more pictures.

Mark D.

Mark Duginske
08-06-2007, 4:28 PM
This is a photo of the jointer/planer which is next to the lumber storage
area. The saw/shaper is pointed toward the jointer planer. Lumber is removed from the rack and then process in a circular fashion with easy access to all of the cutting tools. I often crosscut the rough board to lenght with the sliding table with the 103" length of support. I replace 5 different machine with the Felder 700 slider/shaper.

Bart Leetch
08-06-2007, 5:48 PM
Twas fun seeing you equipment & shop Mark.

Gee your lumber storage looks almost as big as my whole shop.:D 13'5" x 24'5" with a 7'10" ceiling.:eek: :D not in the pic is a floor model Belsaw planer & 2 shapers the panel saw has been moved outside under cover. I still have room to turn around.:D Here hoping for a bigger shop soon.

Bert Johansen
08-06-2007, 8:58 PM
Dick, I have a combo and CMS and use both every day. I wouldn't be without the CMS for all those small jobs, along with quick miters and crown molding. And I sure don't haul those 8-foot boards to the combo to cross-cut them! Just my two cents worth.