PDA

View Full Version : How do you buff the insides of a small box?

Burt Alcantara
07-30-2007, 11:21 AM
Most of my boxes are about 1.5" or less outside diameter. Sometimes the inside of the box is less then an inch. What's the best way (or any way for that matter) to polish and buff these insides?

I've been looking at jewelers bobs as they come is a wide variety of widths, lengths and hardnesses. But have yet to try them.

Thanks,
bobland

Kenneth Hertzog
07-30-2007, 12:27 PM
bobland

Dremel makes small buffing items for their tools.

ken

Burt Alcantara
07-30-2007, 1:49 PM
Kenneth,
I looked on the Dremel site and found only 3 points. They were described as rubber which is not what I'm looking for. At the moment I'm trying to track down some felt bobs. The problem is no one wants to sell me just a few and I'm reluctant to buy a minimum quantity because I don't know their suitability.

Thanks,
Burt

BTW - bobland is a user name I use on the Ubuntu forums. Probably had a bit of a brain fart when I signed it.

TYLER WOOD
07-30-2007, 2:09 PM
Dremmel does make some buffers. I had a couple come with the setup I got for Christmas 2 years ago.

Try making your own, Get some heavy felt from a fabric store. Use a round cutter/punch to make circles of the felt. The punch a hole through the center and thread them on a spindle for your dremmel. Again my set same with something you can put things on and screw them on. I have down this when in a bind on some metal work I was diong, worked great!!! I have also done this with a large wheel, but the larger you get the harder it is to get the thing balanced. If the pieces are not balanced well you will not get a good result. DAMHINT!

Mark Pruitt
07-30-2007, 2:12 PM
Look at the picture of this kit on the Dremel site (http://www.dremel.com/en-us/attachments-and-accessories/attachment-accessory-detail.htm?H=188533&G=69625&I=66463); in the lower left corner there is a cloth point that would probably work for you. I know I've seen these packaged separately, but like you I can't find the individual item on the website. If you have a BORG or a Sears close, they might have it.

Bonnie Campbell
07-30-2007, 3:03 PM
Google search the tip and part number, you should be able to find it. I noticed ehobbie.com had the felt tip.....

George Guadiane
07-30-2007, 5:30 PM
Most of my boxes are about 1.5" or less outside diameter. Sometimes the inside of the box is less then an inch. What's the best way (or any way for that matter) to polish and buff these insides?

I've been looking at jewelers bobs as they come is a wide variety of widths, lengths and hardnesses. But have yet to try them.

Thanks,
bobland
If you see felts or small wheels that you think might get you what you want, get them, they will work fine!
Having used them as a jeweler, I cannot IMAGINE that they wouldn't work exactly as well on wood, with wood finishing stuff.
They either thread onto a pointed post or fasten on by screwing onto a pointed/threaded post, so you have to watch out for the metal parts, but that's true with any of the polishing things, in any size.

joe greiner
07-30-2007, 11:13 PM
I looked on the Dremel site and found only 3 points. They were described as rubber which is not what I'm looking for.

Next to the rubber points in their paper catalog (2005, though):

Rubber: 461, 462, & 463
Felt: 414 (1/2" wheel), 422 (3/8" dome), & 429 (1" wheel); use mandrel 401 (screw point).

Joe

Burt Alcantara
07-31-2007, 10:28 AM
I've found a few sites that sell felt bobs. The ones that will sell small quantities usually don't have the soft felt or much choice in shapes. The ones that offer the most choices usually have a high dollar minimum.

I'd like to buy just a few to test the hardness and suitability. But, I may end up as many suggest, trying the stock wheels and see how they work.

I have the Beall system. Would the big compound blocks work with the tiny wheels and bobs?

(I just realized that I got hung up with the bob shape because it resembles a Beall bowl buff but on a much smaller scale. A small wheel would probably satisfy my needs.)

Thanks,
Burt

George Guadiane
07-31-2007, 2:39 PM
I have the Beall system. Would the big compound blocks work with the tiny wheels and bobs?

Thanks,
Burt
Yes Bert, the compound should work the same... Just go a little light on the pressure, and or slow on the RPMs till you get it dialed in.

jeremy levine
07-31-2007, 3:04 PM
http://www.dremel.com/en-us/attachments-and-accessories/attachment-accessory-group.htm?H=188544&G=66391

I see the wheels here

Burt Alcantara
08-01-2007, 11:25 AM
After reading these posts I decided to try my dremel. When I opened the case I was surprised to see a number of dremel and 3rd party bobs. Tried them all. All were too small and all got rock hard quickly. I became concerned with the hardness because it seemed like they were getting close to burning the wood.

I found that McMasters has soft felt bobs. I put in an order yesterday buying mostly 1" soft bobs. When I receive them and try them out I post the results here.

Thanks,
Burt

Pete Rambo
08-03-2007, 8:55 PM
Try www.tarheelparts.com and see if they have some small buffs, not bobs you can use... I've gotten all sorts of stuff from them over the years for my metal polishing work, and they've been great.

The buffs should be more open than bobs, and less likely to gum or burn.

Hope that helps. :)

Pete

Steve Ott
08-05-2007, 6:44 PM
Burt,

Try this link: Link to yahoo group removed. Not only do these folks turn small, they also turn tiny!!!

Check the forum, and I'm sure you will come up with some ideas.

Steve Ott