PDA

View Full Version : first bowls

Jim Podsedly
07-30-2007, 10:15 AM
Finally got the chucks needed to make some bowls after my very first one at Woodcraft more than 5 months ago!

These bowls were made from an Ash tree in our yard that fell victim to insects and had to be cut down.

The bowls are 5 1/2" wide x 4 1/2 deep and the second one is 4 3/4" wide x 3" deep.

I will be giving the larger one to my neighbors who are avid gardeners so i thought a 'potting bowl' would be appropriate.

The finish is Watco Danish oil.

Each bowl has a crack in it, should i fill it with CA?

Comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

Ken Fitzgerald
07-30-2007, 10:19 AM
Jim.....very nice first bowls! You can fill the cracks with CA or epoxy depending on the size. I have successfully used epoxy and instant coffee crystals to fill large cracks and then was able to return them to the lathe and finish turning and apply finish to them.

Nicely done Sir!

Steve Schlumpf
07-30-2007, 10:25 AM
Nice looking first bowls Jim! Adding on to Ken's suggestion for filling the cracks - depending on how big/wide the cracks are - you can also fill them using sandpaper and your finish to create a slurry and fill the cracks. Keep turning - it gets easier the more you do!

Nancy Laird
07-30-2007, 10:25 AM
Very nice bowls, Jim. I like the detail you put on the outside to make them look a lot like flower pots.

Nancy

Bernie Weishapl
07-30-2007, 3:03 PM
Jim very well done. As Ken said either CA or mix epoxy with sanding dust or instant coffee and fill the crack. Works pretty good.

Mark Pruitt
07-30-2007, 3:14 PM
Good start, Jim! The CA/coffee trick works very well, but I do it while the piece is still on the lathe. That allows me to clean the surface with a power sander while spinning. I did it to a spalted maple piece recently and a fellow turner mistook the filled cracks for spalt lines...not a commentary on my ability, anybody can do it, that's just how good the trick works.

Scott Donley
07-30-2007, 3:38 PM
Very well done Jim, as said many times, a crack just turns it from a bowl to a work of art,:cool: again , good job.

Tom Sherman
07-30-2007, 4:43 PM
Nice looking bowls Jim keep em comin

Ernie Nyvall
07-30-2007, 9:15 PM
I will be giving the larger one to my neighbors who are avid gardeners so i thought a 'potting bowl' would be appropriate.

Well, you certainly accomplished what you set out to. Nice job Jim.