PDA

View Full Version : Slot Mortise Bits—Source

Dan Racette
07-30-2007, 10:02 AM
I am wondering where people are getting their slot mortising bits. I have found them at mini-max, laguna, and felder. Are there any other sources? Does anyone have any experience with one type over another? I be anxious to see what sort of feedback people could give. I was unable to obtain bits from Clico like I had intended, so I need to find another source.

Dan

Norb Schmidt
07-30-2007, 10:45 AM
Dan - sorry I can't help you out really - I have only purchased and used the ones from MM. They switched their vendor a couple of years ago from Clico to Onsrud - if that helps. I like them - good chip breaking ability and a really quality bit. That said, I'm not on them very often (still drive a desk for a living, so its nights and weekends for me).

Given the advent of the Domino, we just might be running a dinosaur with the horizontal mortiser!?!

Rick Lizek
07-30-2007, 11:09 AM
Onsrud has them. I much prefer using 2 flute HSS endmills. Inexpensive and easy to find. For 25 years it's been my preference over the mortising bits. I don't think the Domino can ever truly replace the horizontal slot mortiser. There's operations you can't do on the Domino. It's nice having a horizontal drill and I can do large mortises rather than doing a bunch of small mortises with a Domino.

Dan Racette
07-30-2007, 2:26 PM
Thanks Guys.

I had thought that Onsrud makes bits. I didn't realize they made them for MM.

Anyone else? Anyone experienced with Laguna's?

D

Steve Rowe
07-30-2007, 4:44 PM
I have most recently purchased slot mortise bits from Morris Wood Tool but haven't used them yet. Their link is: http://www.morriswoodtool.com/Tooling-Misc.htm I have also used the Felder, Laguna and end mills. I will offer the following observations:

The Laguna bits are 2 flute spiral and high quality but are too long for most of my mortises. They seem geared to deep morticing. The cut is a little rough which I believe is related to their long length and bearing play.
I have used the Felder birdsmouth bits at a woodworking school. They give a smooth cut but can be prone to burning. They are only available in metric. I purchased the Morris bits at less than half the price of the Felder bits.
The endmills are the most cost effective choice and give a smooth cut especially given their short length. Most endmills have too short a cutting length for woodworking mortices. To get the longer cutting lengths I go with the 4 flute bits. This limits chip removal and is a bit slower but yields a smooth cut.Hope this helps,
Steve

Dan Racette
07-30-2007, 5:34 PM
Great Feedback Steve. Thanks for the source and the direct feedback. I had another brand of cutter that burned as well.

I have most recently purchased slot mortise bits from Morris Wood Tool but haven't used them yet. Their link is: http://www.morriswoodtool.com/Tooling-Misc.htm I have also used the Felder, Laguna and end mills. I will offer the following observations:

The Laguna bits are 2 flute spiral and high quality but are too long for most of my mortises. They seem geared to deep morticing. The cut is a little rough which I believe is related to their long length and bearing play.
I have used the Felder birdsmouth bits at a woodworking school. They give a smooth cut but can be prone to burning. They are only available in metric. I purchased the Morris bits at less than half the price of the Felder bits.
The endmills are the most cost effective choice and give a smooth cut especially given their short length. Most endmills have too short a cutting length for woodworking mortices. To get the longer cutting lengths I go with the 4 flute bits. This limits chip removal and is a bit slower but yields a smooth cut.Hope this helps,
Steve

Cary Swoveland
07-30-2007, 5:40 PM
I bought Whiteside left-turning upcut spiral bits for the mortiser on my MM combo machine, but sold the MM before I had a chance to use them.

Cary

Dan Racette
08-01-2007, 12:24 PM
At the price of the Morris bits. They are certainly worth a try!