PDA

View Full Version : Laguna Bandsaw - problem with motor fan

Todd Burch
01-22-2004, 12:33 AM
The fan on my TEFC 2HP motor (Laguna 18" BS) is trying to slip its way off the end of the motor shaft, and when it does slide out a little bit, it makes a terrible noise on the fan guard.

To fix, I've taken the fan guard off and knocked the fan back on, twice now. The fan is plastic and there is a steel collar that provides (or is supposed to provide) the tension to hold it in place. Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks, Todd

Chuck Wintle
01-22-2004, 5:30 AM
What if you tried Loctite on the collar before driving back the fan? I am guessing that there is no set screw or anything like that.What if you tried a stainless clamp like those used on plastic water pipes?

Byron Trantham
01-22-2004, 11:43 AM
Todd, this may seem way out there but if I understand your problem, I would spread some silicone glue on the shaft and push it back on. Since there is a lot of centrifugal force and very little lateral force [though enough to allow the fan to "walk off the shaft"], I would think this would hold it in place quite well. Clean the shaft first to remove any grease. I have found silicone pretty tough stuff and if you have to replace it, you can still get it [the fan] off.

Bob Lasley
01-22-2004, 11:54 AM
Todd,

If Loctite or silicone doesn't work, here is an old motor shop trick. Use a center punch to "prick punch" the shaft. Just punch a few dimples around the shaft where the fan goes and then drive the fan on. This raises the metal on the shaft in a few places and tightens the fit between the fan sleeve and the shaft. I have done and seen this done many times and it works great.

Bob

Byron Trantham
01-22-2004, 12:21 PM
Todd,

If Loctite or silicone doesn't work, here is an old motor shop trick. Use a center punch to "prick punch" the shaft. Just punch a few dimples around the shaft where the fan goes and then drive the fan on. This raises the metal on the shaft in a few places and tightens the fit between the fan sleeve and the shaft. I have done and seen this done many times and it works great.

Bob

To quote Crocodile Dundee, "Now that's a fix!" :D

Mike Wilkins
01-22-2004, 1:26 PM
You could also go to the Laguna website and visit the message board
there. Laguna reps and others with Laguna machinery lurk around this
neighborhood, and could possibly offer some solution.
So far I have had no problems with my LT18. One sweet machine.

Greg Tatum
01-22-2004, 4:11 PM
If it's just the fan blade walking off the shaft, would a rubber o-ring work to hold it in place?