PDA

View Full Version : Wet wood

dennis kranz
07-29-2007, 11:59 PM
Today I turned the first realy wet piece of wood to date. I have seen you guys post about getting wet from wet wood but thought you all may be streching the truth a little. And for thinking that way I must say that I shall never dought what you say again. After getting hit in the face a few times I switched to the face shield. Never has the curl come off a piece like today. It was a blast. No dust just a little wet to contend with. Don't know the wood type it was laying next to the road and I picked it up. Smooth bark gray in color I think a birch just not sure. When finished it might look like a weed pot. How long would you wait to finsih a piece of wood thats this wet? Pictures will be when finished if nothing goes wrong.
Dennis

Brett Baldwin
07-30-2007, 2:11 AM
Did you turn it to its final dimension or did you leave it thick to dry out and move?

Steve Schlumpf
07-30-2007, 10:20 AM
What Brett said - also, were planning to air-dry it or use something like the alcohol method? One other thing - make sure you clean your lathe real good or by now you will have a film of rust starting - just one of the benefits of turning really wet wood!

William Bachtel
07-30-2007, 3:39 PM
I put finish on it , when it is still wet. General finishes.