PDA

View Full Version : Calling Nancy Laird

Keith Burns
07-29-2007, 10:41 PM
Either I missed it or have you been remiss in reporting on your demoing at the recent show in Sin City ?

John Hain
07-29-2007, 11:10 PM
Either I missed it or have you been remiss in reporting on your demoing at the recent show in Sin City ?

Did you see her posts in the "Off-Topic" forum?

Nancy Laird
07-29-2007, 11:21 PM
No, Keith, I was actually remiss. No one had the gumption to take any pictures of me at the lathe,:( :(, so I guess no pics, didn't happen.

It was actually a very good show, and I think I sold a few of the lathes for the company, or at least planted the seeds! I turned most of the day on Wednesday, half of Thursday, and all day Friday (got up sick on Saturday and begged off). They put my lathe right next to the big #1 Woodtek, so every time the big lathe was going, I was turning too, which brought more people by my demo. Had quite a bit of interest in the little lathe and the very idea of a woman turning on the lathe. One couple was so intrigued by the idea of giving them as client/customer gifts that it sounded like they were going to buy two lathes--his and hers. I had two gentlemen who were so interested that they actually stood in front of the lathe for about 15 minutes while I turned a pen from start to finish. I took about 18 of my finished pens to show what they would look like when assembled (I didn't take the kits or the press), and had one man (one of the security fellows) come and buy three of them. There were lots of people who seemed disappointed that I wasn't giving them away!:eek: :eek: (Yeah, like I'm gonna give away my pens??? Right! Only to special people!;) )

I had lots of fun doing it--got about 20 pens turned and finished, ready to assemble, and have one special order to do as soon as the crate with all my stuff gets back to Albuquerque (I think tomorrow).

One little gloat: while we were in Colorado, we stopped in the little town of Palisade and dropped in on a woodshop we found there. The man who owns it had a stack of walnut piled up on a pair of sawhorses that he had finished milling for flooring in the new house he is building. There was a stack of cut-offs on the floor that looked pretty good, and I asked what he was going to do with them. His response: he was going to burn them!!! I asked if I could have a couple of pieces, and he handed me a big box and said to take all I wanted! I think I came away from there with enough 4/4 walnut to turn at least 50 pens, maybe more. Guess who's getting a handmade pen from me?

The trip was tiring, but fun, and we are GLAD to be home.

Nancy

Bob Hallowell
07-30-2007, 8:54 AM
Congrads Nancy sound like you had a great time!

Bob

Tom Sherman
07-30-2007, 4:14 PM
Sounds like a great time, Nancy congrats on the sales and the order.