PDA

View Full Version : Plastic laminate vendors online?

Jim O'Dell
07-29-2007, 7:12 PM
I'm getting ready to put the plastic laminate on my torsion boxes for the multi-purpose cabinets, and thought I'd look online for vendors and prices. Wrong! I can come up with prices for laminate flooring, and plastic sheets to laminate paper products, but no prices on Formica, WilsonArt, etc. I can find information and colors from the manufacturer's web sites. But all I get is HD and Lowe's on where to purchase. That can't be right. I know any countertop business can get me the pieces I need, but I was hoping to have an idea of price when I get out to order this stuff. Anyone have any ideas, or places you've found on the net to order this stuff? TIA! Jim.

Jim Becker
07-29-2007, 7:18 PM
Try your local full-service lumber/builders yards, too. I've never run into the stuff online, although I haven't exactly looked for it, either.

Steve Kohn
07-29-2007, 8:45 PM
I have always bought my laminate in large sheets from Lowes. Carrying them, without chipping a corner or edge, is always a challenge.

Jim O'Dell
07-29-2007, 8:58 PM
Yes, they had 8' length, limited colors, and I didn't look to see if they were 3' or 4' wide. I'd like to get the 12' long version, 3' wide. I think I've seen it rolled up before for carrying. Thats why I thought it might be available mail order. If that was something else, or was the thinner version made for doing corners, then I can still carry it in the van, but it would be a little more hassle. Thanks for the notes guys! Jim.

Tommy Emmons
07-29-2007, 9:19 PM
I know that Wilsonart only sells through distributors, no online sales. The local retailer sets the final price.

Bruce Wrenn
07-29-2007, 10:37 PM
I can buy directly from local Wilson-Art dist, but it is cheaper for me to buy through HD/ Lowes, as they have "national account pricing", which is cheaper than my "direct pricing." Volume of purchases sets prices. They can order any size or color you want. I stop at HD, order, and drive a mile to Dist. Usually by the time I get there, they have my laminate already rolled.

aaron allen
07-29-2007, 10:47 PM
I am paying 1.68 sq. ft. in 4x8's, not sure how good that is. My local sheet goods supplier has a line from Mexico at less than a buck a sq. Its good stuff, countertop grade, but only 20+ colors. Tafisa or something like that is the name.
We've had laminate shipped via "brown, what can we do for ya". There was a lot of damage. Something to do with the sorting operations at their terminals?? FYI

Jamie Buxton
07-30-2007, 12:10 AM
http://www.tapeease.com/wilsnrt_plastic_laminate.htm

Jim O'Dell
07-30-2007, 9:12 AM
I can buy directly from local Wilson-Art dist, but it is cheaper for me to buy through HD/ Lowes, as they have "national account pricing", which is cheaper than my "direct pricing." Volume of purchases sets prices. They can order any size or color you want. I stop at HD, order, and drive a mile to Dist. Usually by the time I get there, they have my laminate already rolled.

Thanks Bruce. Maybe there is a local pickup place here as well.
Aaron, I'll look at the place I originally figured I'd be buying it from and see if they have access to his. I don't need anything fancy, just looking for light grey or maybe royal blue.
Jamie, thanks for the web site. It looks like thier price is higher than Lowes, and then they tack on another 25.00 fee? Let me know if I'm not reading that correctly. Jim.

Greg Robinson
07-30-2007, 10:09 AM
I've order Wilsonart plastic laminate from these guys several times. They have a pretty big selection of colors/textures. Hope this helps...Greg

http://www.cabinetparts.com/

Matt Meiser
07-30-2007, 10:29 AM
I special ordered from Lowes and didn't think the price was too bad. It took about a week for delivery. Legend has it that Lowes and Home Depot will sell the damaged in-stock sheets dirt cheap. I got a ton of clearance laminate for about $0.10/sqft for about 6 2x8 sheets at a local home improvement chain. It might pay to look around. You might call some counter fabricators and see if they have old stock they want to get rid of for a few bucks. They're bound to have misordered/damaged/rejected-by-customer stuff around.

Jim O'Dell
07-30-2007, 10:25 PM
Stopped by Home Depot on the way home to check prices on 3 X 12 laminate sheets...74.00 plus a 15.00 charge per order. A little higher than I wanted, but not bad I guess. I will need 2 sheets. He asked if a green color would work. I really wanted grey, but said I would look. He has 4 X 8 sheets of this 69103 I could have for......$23.00 per sheet! HMMMMMM. I would have to seam it, which I'd prefer not to do. But for less than 1/3 the price, actually with the order charge, about 1/4 the price, I might be able to live with it. Might narrow down the future cabinet saw to Grizzly or General though. :D The Ridgid and MM grey looks good with it, as does black and the wood grain laminate on the slotwall material. The blue of my extension table clashes, but at that price I could recover it. I may still look around a little on Friday, knowing I can pick this up. He said if I would buy all the remaining 10 or so sheets, he'd throw in the display rack that holds it all.
And yes, I did look for laminate there last week and didn't see any. Jim.