PDA

View Full Version : jewelry box

Jay MacDougall
07-29-2007, 5:50 PM
This is a recently completed jewelry box I made for my wife. The marquetry on the top is a copy of a picture my 6 year old daughter drew of our family. The lock escutcheon is my first try at pearl inlay, I kept it simple, but I am pleased. The box is mahogany, the top of the lid is redwood burl, quilted maple and various dyed veneers. The underside is zebrawood, holly, movingui and black dyed veneers. The four dots in the corners are paua abalone. Just a tung oil and lacquer finish.

Thanks for looking.

David Duke
07-29-2007, 6:01 PM
I really like this Jay, I'm sure your wife will cherish it forever. The marquetry on top is really something special I'm sure your daughter will also come to cherish it as she become able to appreciate the uniqueness of your gift.

Tim Lynch
07-29-2007, 6:02 PM
Jay, you continue to amaze with your brilliant themes and great execution. Now that's a family heirloom!

Matt Campbell
07-29-2007, 6:35 PM
Wow, Jay! It's great to see projects that have some heart and meaning in them. Great job.

Jim Becker
07-29-2007, 6:41 PM
Wow...what a great way to preserve a child's art "forever". That's really wonderful! Great work on your part, too... :)

Terry Quiram
07-29-2007, 7:17 PM
Jay

I can't begin to tell you how much I like this box. The idea of converting a drawing by your daughter to an inlay is priceless. Sign it, date it and hand write a little explaination about the process and keep it with the box. Its wonderful.

Terry

Jay MacDougall
07-29-2007, 7:28 PM
Forgot to add the original drawing that I based this on, thanks for the kind words.

Robert Miller
07-29-2007, 7:52 PM
What a terrific idea. Just beautiful and a family heirloom.

Jay MacDougall
07-30-2007, 11:09 AM
Jay

Sign it, date it and hand write a little explaination about the process and keep it with the box. Its wonderful.

Terry

This didn't occur to me until you mentioned it, thanks.

John Timberlake
07-30-2007, 1:28 PM
Great job, Jay. Love the art work and your rendition of it.