PDA

View Full Version : Benchtop Planer

Paul Dombroski
07-29-2007, 3:39 PM
I'm in the market for a benchtop planer and a good biscuit jointer. Can anyone offer any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Art Mann
07-29-2007, 3:57 PM
I own a Ridgid TP1300LS model available at Home Depot. It has met or exceeded my every expectation and has some nice features that you pay extra for on other models. Those include a dust collection hood, infeed and outfeed tables, a sturdy floor stand and an extra set of knives. You may soon be able to buy this model at a discount since Ridgis is introducing a 3 knife model as a replacement.

Other models that are well thought of here and on Woodnet include the Dewalt 735, the Delta 22-580 and the Makita 2012B (I don't guarantee the model numbers but they are close). I don't think you would go far wrong with any of these planers.

Sorry I have no experience with biscuit cutters, but a lot of people brag on the Porter Cable.

Dan Lautner
07-29-2007, 10:28 PM
I got the Makita a few months ago and am very happy with it so far. The noise is not as bad as I thought . This machine has a reputation for a long life. Seems very well built and solid to me.

Dan

Bill Huber
07-30-2007, 12:04 AM
I am very happy with my Ridgid TP1300L, it does a really great job. The cuts are very smooth.
I don't have the room for the stand that came with it but I made one and keep it under my bench, so I guess its not really a bench top...

glenn bradley
07-30-2007, 12:13 AM
I'm in the market for a benchtop planer and a good biscuit jointer. Can anyone offer any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
DW735 or DW734 for your planer. The PC557 joiner is the best one I've found but, I've never had my hands on an ELU which I hear are pretty sweet.

Doug Pettway
07-30-2007, 7:58 AM
i've got the DW735; its my first and only planer. it makes very nice surfaces and i am very happy with it. it also makes all of my wildest dreams come true :D

Loren Hedahl
07-30-2007, 10:08 AM
I've got an old 10 inch Ryobi lunchbox planer. A neighbor had it for sale when he upgraded to a DeWalt.

The DeWalt snipes less when you just run the wood through, but I made some end tables for the Ryobi that if adjusted right eliminate the snipe. If I am in a hurry and doing just a few pieces, I just waste a couple of inches at the ends to accommodate the snipe. Otherwise I set up the end tables.

The Ryobi was $75 complete with 3 sets of knives, 2 of which were professionally resharpened. I've had it a couple of years now and have gotten my money out of it in work several times.

So you might check the used markets. You never know what kind of a deal you might walk away with.