PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet Gloat

Jeff Wright
07-29-2007, 3:11 PM
I am nearly ready to paint a cabinet I made for my wife's china painting supplies. The cabinet will go out in the garage and wall mounted. It is deeper than normal to house some of her bigger china painting blanks.

I used a combination of joinery techniques: Sommerfelf offset tongue and groove bits (makes alignment of case components very exact), Kreg pocket holes, Amana rail and stile bits that adjust to accept variable thickness ply panels (I really like it!), the Festool Domino to make the floating tenons for the face frame, and a jig and Bosch small router to cut the initial butt hinge mortises (I hand chiseled the fine work). I attempted to create a small 1/16" reveal around the doors. I made both the door rail and stiles and the face frame they sit in oversized thickness (calipers measured 0.85"). I like the look and increased strength of the thicker frames.

I used the project as a means to calibrate and get familiar with my recently purchased Mini-Max combo saw and 20" bandsaw (I prefer to do most of my hardwood ripping using the bandsaw and then putting multiple pieces in the planer on edge to do the final sizing). I used a Woodpecker router table and their fancy fence system (I forget its name). The Noden Adjust-a-Bench and its twin Record-like vises were excellent to use. For sanding I used my Festool 150/3 random orbital and hand blocks. For trimming the doors to size I used the Lie-Neilsen low-angle small block plane, a quality tool. For the little bit of drill press work I used a Steel City bandsaw which has been serving me very well.

I designed the cabinet using SketchUp and found it extremely helpful to build it first on the computer screen prior to cutting wood. The cabinet provided a chance to build a prototype of a design I may use in our new kitchen cabinets that I will begin building soon.

Jeff Wright
07-29-2007, 3:12 PM
More photos:

Don Taylor
07-29-2007, 5:06 PM
Wow! Jeff, that's a beautiful cabinet. She will love that one.

DT

Bill Huber
07-29-2007, 7:05 PM
Very nice cabinet indeed, the joints all look very tight and clean.

I just wish I could learn to use SketchUp, I just can not get the hang of that program, I have tried but never made it yet.

Jim Becker
07-29-2007, 7:17 PM
Really nice, Jeff! That's fine cabinet and looks like it will make the LOYL quite happy!

Ben Grunow
07-29-2007, 8:28 PM
Beautiful work and for your wife too. Impressive.

Watch that paint build up with reveals like those. I occasionally end up with reveals that tight and the painters always curse me. You may end up cursing yourself since you are the painter.

Jeff Wright
07-29-2007, 8:55 PM
Watch that paint build up with reveals like those. I occasionally end up with reveals that tight and the painters always curse me. You may end up cursing yourself since you are the painter.

I've been concerned about that too Ben - good point. I may have to take a shave off the reveal, but I hate to mess with it. But better now than later.

Thank you all for your kind comments. I am anxious to attend a week-long cabinetry class from any one of the experts like Lonnie Bird and others. I've noticed most all classes from the good 'schools' fill up very fast. It's nice to see there's still that much passion for woodworking. My goal is to take my furniture and cabinet making skills to the highest possible level.

Evan Stockton
07-29-2007, 9:02 PM
OK, first and foremost, awesome job on the cabinet, Jeff - Looks great!

Second, here's the post I have (somewhat) dreaded - The one where I admit I don't have a clue about something, but as someone reminded me when I first joined the Creek, the only stupid question is the one not asked...Sooooo, don't poke too much fun at me when I ask:

What's the "reveal" Jeff mentions and Ben comments on? I'm still learning the lingo, so I'm lost...Forgive me!

:(

In advance, thanks, and again Jeff - Awesome work. I may not know the names of the techniques and components, but I do know quality work!

Thanks again...

Jeff Wright
07-29-2007, 9:09 PM
What's the "reveal" Jeff mentions and Ben comments on?

Evan,

The reveal is the small gap between the door and the cabinet. I've also seen it used to refer to the amount of molding showing, say, beneath the bottom edge of a crown molding at the top of a cabinet. Others are welcome to correct me if I'm wrong.

In the case of my cabinet, the reveal is so narrow or small that once paint is applied to the wood edge of the door and cabinet, the door may stick and rub against the face frame opening on the cabinet.

Hope that helps.

And don't forget . . . questions like yours allows us older f--ts feel like we're contributing!! So keep the questions coming. :)

Steven Triggs
07-29-2007, 9:41 PM
Paint...:eek:

On something with joints that nice and well fitted, it is a sin to use paint.

No, I'm just kidding. To each his own. Seriously though, that is really nice work. Good job!

Frederick Rowe
07-30-2007, 9:56 AM
I'm with Steven. With such crisp lines it seems a shame to soften it with paint. I hope you'll at least spray it.

Very nice execution. I'm a big believer in making your shop cabinets every bit as nice (from a design standpoint) as your built in library or kitchen cabinets. You'll spend a lot of time staring at them, let them inspire you.

Nicely done.

Evan Stockton
07-30-2007, 11:55 AM
Jeff, thanks for the info - I can see how that would become a problem - I have to say I'd be like you and leave it as is unless you see a definite problem on the horizon, 'cause it looks great.

Thanks too for sharing - I've yet to tackle cabinets (I'm working up my experience & courage levels!), but I really enjoy checking out others' projects and, of course, learning...

So, that makes it thanks x 2!

Take care, and have a great week...

Ralph Okonieski
07-30-2007, 12:07 PM
I agree with Steven and Frederick, it is a shame to paint such fine work. In any case, very nicely done.

Steve Clardy
07-30-2007, 1:27 PM
Nicely done Jeff !!

Alfred Clem
07-30-2007, 1:32 PM
What kind of humidity do you anticipate? Out here in AZ, we always have that in mind -- because there is so little here compared with, say, Treasure Island, FL.

Jeff Wright
07-30-2007, 7:35 PM
What kind of humidity do you anticipate? Out here in AZ, we always have that in mind -- because there is so little here compared with, say, Treasure Island, FL.

Al,

I air conditioned my 2-car garage using a mini-split system, so the humidity shouldn't be an issue - unless I lose power during one of our many hurricanes!! I would strongly recommend the mini-splits as a solution for both heating, air conditioning and humidity control. And, it's very quiet! Not cheap though.