PDA

View Full Version : Another Debut for a New Plane

Doug Evans
01-21-2004, 9:33 PM
Awhile back (September?) we posted a hollow shell for this little thumbplane but, I mislocated the sole tenon and we never got around to making a new bent sidewall piece.

In December, Ben suggested that we make this plane into something that would allow everyone to try hand dovetailing. Instead of the original design lever cap construction, we went with a brass bridge. We provide customers with sample wood infill desgns but, they provide and cut the wood. The steel sidewall piece comes pre-bent. The throat and iron are pre-bevelled. We provide instructions for the customer to heat treat the D2 iron - testing this out tomorrow night. It should take a few days to write up the instructions.

The price: sub-seventy

Whose yer daddy?

Cheers,

Doug

Alan Turner
01-22-2004, 9:46 AM
Doug
What is the size and the bedding angle on this little cuty?
Alan

Eric Sanford
01-22-2004, 12:41 PM
Cool, that may finally get me to get up the nerve to try building a plane. The metal work has worried me, but at that price I can learn and not worry so much about ruining it! :o

Eric

Doug Evans
01-22-2004, 1:20 PM
It is 5 5/16" long by 1 5/8" wide (iron is 1 1/4"). The bedding angle is 18 degrees.

I was thinking of changing the iron width but every time, I drew it up the proportion was wrong. 1/8" D2 will be a struggle it seems, so we may end up with pre-cut A2. Will know more by the weekend.

Regards,

Doug

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
01-28-2004, 7:39 PM
Hi Doug,

I don't know who your daddy is but that is nice!!!

Where can one view this item in person?

Take care,
Jim

Doug Evans
01-28-2004, 8:54 PM
Come down to Cambridge World Headquarters anytime. We can also do the iron.

In February, it will be with us for an infill plane seminar we are planning at Pop WW's new digs, co-hosted with the Ohio club. Dates around the 25th are being bantered.

In March, we will be at Ernie Conover's for an infill plane course.

April is shaping up to be the New York and New Jersey again.

It will be at the Neander Meander in July.

At an infill course at Phil Lowes (Beverly, MA) in late August.

I think we are just going to throw in the chariot iron and get on with it. Not a bad idea, as Ben has already started selling them!

Cheers,

Doug

Lloyd Robins
01-29-2004, 12:30 AM
The plane is beautiful as usual. As a newbie, though, how is this plane helpful in hand dovetailing (or more useful than the standard block plane)? Is it used for trimming the excess off of the ends? Or am I missing something? Sorry to be so dumb.

Doug Evans
01-29-2004, 9:45 AM
If one reviews the geometry of the Thumb Plane, it becomes apparent that it is fundamentally the same as our Chariot Block plane. In fact, for the one we posted, it has the same iron, bridge, and wedge. The Thumb is stripped down for cost (no wood). In fact, the Spiers original never had a front bun.

With its low angle and fine mouth, the Thumb Plane will readily trim the ends of dovetails. More importantly, it functions well as an agile one-handed smoother. Kyle Zack posted a review of the Chariot while back on Traditional Tools about this aspect of the design. Back in the summer, you may recall we had a photo of a Christmas Wreath of shaving from exotics surrounding the Chariot on this site.

We’re not sure whether we’re making 5 bucks or losing 5 buck on the Thumb – we want to allow people to prove something for themselves.

Cheers,

Doug

Terry Quiram
01-29-2004, 7:43 PM
Doug

How much for one that I don't have to do ANY of the work!!! :D I like the final product, but hate to build the jigs.

Terry

Ben Knebel
01-30-2004, 8:41 AM
Doug

How much for one that I don't have to do ANY of the work!!! :D I like the final product, but hate to build the jigs.

Terry

Hi Terry;
There really aren't any jigs to build but you do have to cut and shape the wood parts. If you want one like in the picture as a finished plane I'll build one for you. Contact me via e-mail and I'll quote you a price.
Regards
Ben

Don Joslin
03-22-2004, 4:30 AM
Doug,

Can I get an update on the Thumb plane kit you posted about in Jan? Is it available yet? Where and/or when?

Thanks,

Don Joslin

If one reviews the geometry of the Thumb Plane, it becomes apparent that it is fundamentally the same as our Chariot Block plane. In fact, for the one we posted, it has the same iron, bridge, and wedge. The Thumb is stripped down for cost (no wood). In fact, the Spiers original never had a front bun.

With its low angle and fine mouth, the Thumb Plane will readily trim the ends of dovetails. More importantly, it functions well as an agile one-handed smoother. Kyle Zack posted a review of the Chariot while back on Traditional Tools about this aspect of the design. Back in the summer, you may recall we had a photo of a Christmas Wreath of shaving from exotics surrounding the Chariot on this site.

We’re not sure whether we’re making 5 bucks or losing 5 buck on the Thumb – we want to allow people to prove something for themselves.

Cheers,

Doug

Doug Evans
03-22-2004, 7:57 AM
Yes. It is available. In fact, I just finished shipping the first lot (the instructions took longer to generate than expected). We will be running steel for a second lot this week.

I would recommend that you get in touch with Ben fairly soon on this one, as we are considering selling this plane in a more expensive format in the near future.

Regards,

Doug

John Meikrantz
03-23-2004, 1:38 AM
Doug,

You initially talked about the blade being un-heat-treated D2, but then said you were going to test A2. What blade comes with the kit? Does it need to be heat-treated by the kit builder?

Thanks,

John

Ben Knebel
03-23-2004, 9:19 AM
Doug,

You initially talked about the blade being un-heat-treated D2, but then said you were going to test A2. What blade comes with the kit? Does it need to be heat-treated by the kit builder?

Thanks,

John

Ben here replying for Doug---we went with the A2 blade and it comes heattreated and ready to go except for the final hone.
Regards
Ben