PDA

View Full Version : PM 66 wheel hard to turn

Mike Hedges
07-29-2007, 2:10 PM
trying to adjust the tilt on the saw is hard , takes both hands to turn the wheel. I remember awhile back a post about this , tried a search didn't find it. please advise. Mike

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-29-2007, 3:44 PM
trying to adjust the tilt on the saw is hard , takes both hands to turn the wheel. I remember awhile back a post about this , tried a search didn't find it. please advise. Mike

Dirt (dust and rust) is a common culprit. Take a wire brush to the threaded rod and clean it up.

Ben Grunow
07-29-2007, 8:47 PM
Air will usually get it unless it is prehistoric slime.

Pete Bradley
07-29-2007, 9:33 PM
If you don't find it here, check the archives over at owwm.com. I recall there are a couple of U-joints in the mechanism that can get gunked up.

Pete

Charles McKinley
07-30-2007, 11:42 PM
Hi Mike,

Did a couple of searches and didn't find the thread either.

First, did you loosen the center lock knob? Are you sure the knob is not slipping on the bolt and it is still tight?

The tilt on my 1990 PM 66 was a very simple worm gear. You can see it through the slot the height wheel moves through. You can reach up in and clean the gear with a wire brush. I like the teflon motor cycle chain lube for these areas. It provides excelent lubrication and was designed to prevent dirt build up rather than attract it like grease! You may have to crank it just a few turns spray it with lube and work it back to other way until you get every thing cleaned up and working smoothly. DAMHIKT!!!

It isn't hard it will just take a little time.