PDA

View Full Version : Unloading big machinery

Randy Denby
07-29-2007, 12:25 PM
I am in a quandery....I just picked up my Grizzly ultimate 12" jointer at the freight dock. Its on a 6'x12' trailer and I now need to figure out how to get this 1200# behemoth off and into my shop.I'm leary of the rigging that I've used in the past for my other machines as this jointer is probably twice as heavy as most. My thoughts are to rent a skid steer, lift it up and drive the trailer out from under it and set it down at the door. I'm gonna have to weld up a custom made mobile base beforehand, so I'll be buying the metal tomorrow. Does this sound like a good plan? Any thoughts of a better way? ALso, since the jointer came basically pre-assembled, where would be a good place to anchor the straps for lifting? I definitely dont want to lift by the tables? Sure wish they would put factory anchors/lifting eyes on these big machines.Thanks!
Randy

John W Parker
07-29-2007, 12:34 PM
If you are going to rent something, why not rent a forklift. It will take a good sized skid steer to lift 1200#. You can get under the pallet it is sitting on and you won't need to use straps.

Steve Clardy
07-29-2007, 1:04 PM
Do you have a neighbor/ farmer nearby?
Tractor with lift on front. A couple of good lifts straps, under the base.

Mike Wilkins
07-29-2007, 1:14 PM
I have seen guys use an engine hoist in other forums/posts. Just be careful of the tables.

Alfred Clem
07-29-2007, 1:44 PM
This sounds like a job for professionals -- guys who have the experience of moving heavy stuff safely and correctly. They have the correct equipment, too. One slip and you may really hurt yourself bigtime or wreck your new piece of machinery. Look at the big picture. The added bucks spent now may save a lot more over the long haul.

Ben Grunow
07-29-2007, 8:55 PM
We use scaffolding, that we already own, to lift heavy items.

Erect the frames so they straddle the trailer and place some heavy timbers or a half dozen 2x6's on edge on the top of the frames. Then, using a chain choker around the 2x6's, lift the item with the chainfall and more chains or straps.

I think it helps to think of heavy loads in terms of how many men the weight is equivalent to. Mostly to limit my own paranoia when it comes to safety. 1200 is a lot of weight but really it is only about 6 men (that is why I would use about 6 2x6's on the top- one man could never break a 2x6 edgewise).

The whole setup can be disassembled and moved easily by one man too.

This is an easy method and scaffold rental is cheaper than skid steer rental. Unless, of course, the trailer has a top.

Jim Heagney
07-29-2007, 9:06 PM
You received the best advice from Al Clem.

Don't fool around and get hurt or wreck the machine !

Good luck with the nice new machine.

Jim

Bruce Page
07-29-2007, 9:18 PM
Randy, I rented a forklift to move my mill & lathe into my garage shop, each machine was in the 2200# range. I lucked out getting a short masted fork that I could drive right into the garage. It cost me about $120 for 4 hours use.

Ron Williams
07-31-2007, 5:13 PM
I unloaded the same machine last week with a midsized skid steer no problem
Ron

Dick Sylvan
07-31-2007, 6:04 PM
Is a "skid steer" the same as a pallet jack?

Kurt Strandberg
07-31-2007, 6:27 PM
Is a "skid steer" the same as a pallet jack?

No, it's the same as a Bobcat