PDA

View Full Version : Fine Woodworking Club to be Formed

David May 01
07-29-2007, 12:20 PM
I was a member of the San Diego Fine Woodworkers Association for many years. Since moving to Boston Area, I have been looking for an organization similar to this club. The SDFWA with over 1800 members and 300 attending the monthly meetings, is world renound, with many famous members.

Using the SDFWA model, build a Fine Woodworking Club here locally. The first meeting is slated for September, with guest speakers, eduction, shop tours, and the ability to give back to the community. Looking to be able to have an annual show, were the public can view some of the works by local artisans.

Open to all interested, hobbiests and tradesman interested in Woodworking. Please reply to my email directly for more information.

I was turned onto this website by an interested member, and find this site very interesting. I look forward to participating more in the future.

David May
dmay@qualityconnections.com

Mark Rios
07-29-2007, 6:38 PM
Welcome David, nice to have you here.

However, I feel it necessary to point out a problem. We here at SMC all abide by the rule of REAL first and last names. IT IS MANDATORY!!!

Quite frankly, I just don't believe you when you state that "01" is your last name. Please contact one of the admins to correct this problem immediately................

Thanks.

:D :D :D

Welcome again, David. :D

Nancy Laird
07-29-2007, 7:54 PM
Mark, methinks you sorta jumped the gun when you jumped on David about his user name. There is another--and older (in time of membership)--member by the name of David May, so I'm sure he just added the "01" to differentiate. LOML had the same problem, as there was another Dave Laird registered (who has never posted, by the way), so he had to add "in NM" to his user name. There are others on this board who have had to differentiate their user names--Mike Jones NM, Dave Anderson NH, and dave anderson tn come immediately to mind. (There may not ever be another Mark Rios, but you never know.)

By the way, David, welcome to the Creek. You'll find the water to be fine. If we were near Boston, we might consider joining your group. I look forward to your posts.

Nancy

John Bailey
07-29-2007, 8:06 PM
Welcome to the Creek Dave. Nancy's correct, the "01" is fine. I think you'll notice the :D:D's on Mark's post. All in good fun.

Hope the club is a great success. Wish I was closer.

John

Rob Bodenschatz
07-29-2007, 8:38 PM
Nancy, Mark was kidding.

Mark Rios
07-29-2007, 8:57 PM
Nancy, Mark was kidding.

Thanks Rob. I guess I didn't add enough smiley faces, huh?

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Joe Unni
07-29-2007, 10:55 PM
David,

Welcome! I'm glad to see you looked us up. You'll find lots of great information here.

As mentioned a week or two ago, I'm in and willing to give a hand in any way I can.

I'm sure we'll talk again soon.

Best,
-joe
(say hey to Steve)

Nancy Laird
07-29-2007, 11:02 PM
Mark, as so often happens, this is one of those posts where the words don't convey the intent. I really did take your post as being sort of snarky, even with the smilies. I apologize if my post was snarky too.:o :o

Nancy

Randal Stevenson
07-30-2007, 1:14 AM
Oh great, give people idea's why don't you! Now are we gonna have Jr. sign up as Robert E Lee 01?:D

I'd rather see Daisy Duke! LOL

Mark Rios
07-30-2007, 1:30 AM
Mark, as so often happens, this is one of those posts where the words don't convey the intent. I really did take your post as being sort of snarky, even with the smilies. I apologize if my post was snarky too.:o :o

Nancy

No problems at all, Nancy. Keep :D :D :D :D :D :D :D !

And BTW, there are more other Mark Rios' than I care for (and probably some members :D) and at least one of them is in my area and has gotten me into trouble. Stinkin' Mark Rios's..................

David May 01
07-30-2007, 7:45 PM
Thanks for the welcome, however, I should have made it 02 since "My Name has already been used once. I seem to be the second. There is another David May around where I live, and he is ruining my reputation. Joking of course. I have been told I am better looking.

Maybe I can have the administrator add my Middle initial. What do you think?

James Russell
07-31-2007, 7:02 AM
David,
Like you, I am new to the area and am a former member of the Rochester Woodworkers Society (Rochester, NY). It is a pretty large and active group of 400-500 members with lots of guest speakers, lectures and workshops. I have not found anything like it here yet and would like to join in any new venture in this area.

Look forward to hearing from you.
Regards,
Jim

Dave Anderson NH
07-31-2007, 12:31 PM
Welcome to the Creek David. I'm not sure whether or not you are aware of it, but there is an Eastern Mass Woodworkers Guild already in operation. You might be better off trying to hook up with them than in trying to start another group from scratch. Synergy can be useful.