PDA

View Full Version : Rousseua vs. JessEm insert rings

Steven Triggs
07-29-2007, 11:12 AM
I just ordered a Rousseau router lift, it should arrive Monday. I was looking at it and the JessEm Rout-R-Lift FX, but after doing some research on here and elsewhere, decided they were basically identical, so I went with the one that was a little less expensive.

Now, since then I've notcied that there is a difference with the insert rings. From what I can tell, the Rousseau comes with two insert rings, and the JessEm comes with one.

However, you can order a set of 4 diffferent sized rings for the JessEm, and you can even get non-drilled ones for it so you can make zero clearance rings. But the only set you can order for the Rousseau is a replacement of the same two that it comes with.

So, does anyone know if the JessEm and Rousseau rings are interchangeable. Alternatively, if anyone is using the Rousseau, what can you say about this issue? Has it been a problem for you, did you find a way around it, etc?

Thanks for any input!

John Lucas
07-29-2007, 11:58 AM
I think the two you got as standard will be all you need. It is nice to have a choise but not as neccesary to exactly reduce the hole as it is on the table saw. If you have solid control of the workpiece, it wont be dipping into the insert area. I think you will find that the large raised panel cutters will work best with no insert ring and the rail and stile with the medium ring and the small one for DT and straight bits. Two work for me.

Chuck Lenz
07-29-2007, 12:20 PM
I don't think the rings from the two companies are interchangeable. The Jessem has a twist lock type ring while the Rousseau I believe snaps in.

glenn bradley
07-29-2007, 1:00 PM
I agree with Chuck; the rings are different. I made up a bunch for my table thinking how great it would be. I think it is a great idea but in practice I use two of the rings 99% of the time. If you feel a full set of rings is important to how you work, you may want to change your order.

My rings go in with 3 screws. Upside - 1/8" harboard fits perfect. Downside - taking them in and out is quick-enough but not quick. The lift on my short list has twist-lock rings which I won't be able to shop-make ;-(

Steven Triggs
07-29-2007, 6:49 PM
Thanks for the responses.

Larry Rasmussen
07-29-2007, 8:04 PM
Using the rockler (Jessem made) entry level FX lift I was very dissapointed at the fit of the rings, a little high on one side low on the other, both with the ring included with the lift and the Jessem aftermarket set with the various sized openings. The work piece tends to bridge any irregularities so it doesn't really mess up the cut but it does make it harder to get a precise read on height during set up.

I just re did my table and updated my lift to a Woodpecker Quick Lift style. Still a bit off but much better. About the same as the Jessum more upscale Mast-R-lift. I live near a Woodcraft and Rockler retail outlet so was able to look at Woodpecker, Jessem, Bench Dog and some others. None of the twist ins are exactly flush fitting.

The best fit seemed to be with designs that use guess what? Three screws.

Steven, I agree with the other posters, two sizes should do ya. I didn't run across the Rousseau plate in my shopping so the problem with the twist in inserts being uneven may not effect them, they certainly are a top notch brand. Congrats on the new set up to be.

Larry R