PDA

View Full Version : Red Cedar

Rob Russell
07-29-2007, 10:49 AM
I'm at a cousin's in northern Vermont for the weekend. He had a cedar tree come down. LOML and cousin's LOML want some of the cedar tree sliced up for little smelly blocks.

Which is best for this - the heartwood, sapwood or it doesn't make a difference? I'm thinking heartwood so a couple of the larger chunks would be best because there's more of the red heartwood ... but I've been wrong on a lot of other things before.

I woulda done a lot of searching through the archives on this, but I'm connecting via dialup ... boy is this ever a reminder of how spoiled a high-speed connection makes us!

Rob

Mike Null
07-29-2007, 1:04 PM
I don't think it makes much difference but every year or so you'll need to sand them to refresh the fragrance so cut them a little larger.

Cody Colston
07-29-2007, 1:52 PM
Heartwood.

I have a lot of ERC on my place and bugs will infest the sapwood readily because it doesn't contain the repellent oils that the red heartwood does.

I've milled a lot of ERC this summer and I dump the sawdust/planer shavings around my Dogwood trees for mulch. Haven't really needed it this year, though, cause it's rained most every day since end of May. :rolleyes: