PDA

View Full Version : long shim question

Greg Stahl
07-29-2007, 7:49 AM
I'm getting back into woodworking after a VERY long pause. I want to make a jig that requires a shim that is 51 inches long, 4 inches wide and goes from 0 to 3/8 inches over that length. My question is can that be made by using a tapering jig, as the angle is less than 0.5 degrees? It is a jig for making a pencil-post bed that was featured in FWW in 1989.

David Epperson
07-29-2007, 8:09 AM
Not a clue. But 4" is a lot of flat surface to maintain with a tapering jig. I would envision better luck with a planer sled. Actually use a sled to make a sled. Position a base board to hold your will be sled board with appropriate spacers under the it to achieve the angle. Once that angle is planed flat the shim stock can be run through the planer attached to the sled board. Might build some side clamping blocks out of soft wood to hold the shim to the sled, or hot glue might work.

Just thinking out loud. I could just as well be all wet. :D

Art Mann
07-29-2007, 8:32 AM
I think Mr. Epperson is leading you in the right direction. The planer idea sounds a lot more accurate and safe than trying to cut it on a tablesaw.

Joe Unni
07-29-2007, 8:40 AM
Greg,

First - welcome!!!

I the purpose of the shim to simulate an off-cut so you're able to rotate the stock for the pencil post taper?

Could you not (and I'm thinking out loud) just use a 3/8" spacer block at the end of your sled to make the cut? I'm guessing with the proper hold downs this should work.

Or if a shim is required - one of the guided circular saw systems (or straight edge) could work for the shim cut.

Good luck,
-joe

Ben Grunow
07-29-2007, 8:59 PM
The 4" width would make it hard to cut on any guided system but maybe 2 identical shims would do.

I think the planer sled is the idea here.