PDA

View Full Version : Pecan grove spoils

Brett Baldwin
07-28-2007, 8:45 PM
I met Martin this morning (I was 1/2 hour late:o) and he had already scoped out the grove and was doing a little slicing on some of Mike and Kevin's leftovers when I arrived. We decided to take down a tree with some decent size to give us both some choice wood.
I rented a HD saw (Makita 6401 w/20" bar) because I'm thinking about buying one of their used ones and I wanted to see if it was a good saw. I also thought it would be good to have two saws there just in case. That turned out to be good idea because Martin's saw was being cranky today and finally threw its chain. I thought it did a good job and I think I'm going to go ahead with that idea when one is available. Since my experience is limited with chainsaws, maybe Martin can weigh in with a more informed opinion.
Martin took several half-rounds from the bottom of the trunk (~18" diameter) since I don't have the capacity to really do it justice. He also got some of the larger crotch pieces to play with. Since he lives relatively close he decided he had enough after about two hours. I stayed 2 more hours since it is a 40 mile trip for me each way. I wanted to get the most I could handle in one trip. I sealed them up right there with some sealer I picked up from Mike V. on the way to the grove.
Here are a few pics of my haul.

A few of the crotches and a bigger chunk after a lot of cutting:

A break to seal them up and start the loading. There's still more cutting but I'm losing my steam.

The haul filling the back of the minivan. It sure smelled good on the ride back.

And since Woodcraft is on that side of town, I had to stop in, just to cool down of course. I managed to get away with only buying a live center set I've been wanting for a while. I also explained what Sawmill Creek was to a couple of the sales guys there (I brought my T-shirt to change into after the slightly warm cutting weather). Can you believe they'd never heard of us!?

Keith Cope
07-28-2007, 9:04 PM
Nice haul! Can't wait to see what comes out of that...

Mike Vickery
07-28-2007, 10:17 PM
Nice haul. I am guessing with the heat today you understand why I say their is no such thing as free wood.

Kevin McPeek
07-29-2007, 3:21 AM
I second that.
Looks like you made out well. It was a tough one out there today, I know after my haul today the pool felt realllly good.

Martin Braun
07-29-2007, 11:25 AM
I really liked the Makita Brett rented. It just had more power and more chain (bar length). For $250 it's a good deal. While I was ripping, I was getting shavings hung up in my clutch which was messing with my chain tension. It was definitely good to have two saws, cuz in one cut Brett got a pinch on his bar and we quickly got it out. If it had happened to me, I would have had to get out the handsaw and spend some time getting my arm/shoulder workout in.

Seemed like there was plenty of nice trees left over in the grove. It's a really nice shady, quiet place. I don't know who in their right mind would want to demo it. They should just clear the rundown houses in the front, and work the Pecan trees into the layout for a few new houses IMHO.

Don Robert
07-29-2007, 12:49 PM
I went past the place Saturday about 5 pm, but didn't see any activity or any place where people had been taking down the trees. NE corner of Queen Creek and Gilbert Roads, correct? There was a grove of pecan trees and some old houses/mobile homes, but no sign of where people had gone into the grove. What did I miss? If I were to go back today or tomorrow, is there still stuff available?

Brett Baldwin
07-29-2007, 12:58 PM
A pool would have been a great way to finish the day Kevin but I settled for a nice hot shower. I haven't even unloaded the van yet but at least here I have a wheelbarrow to take the load around back. I conveniently forgot that pinch Martin. Definitely a two saw day.

Its funny but on the radio on the way back I kept hearing about a new development called Pecan something opening this month in that area. They are going to regret losing those trees when the winds are howling through their new houses.

Brett Baldwin
07-29-2007, 1:05 PM
Don, I think it was the driveway of the third house from the corner that had a driveway that went around back. Park back there and walk around in the grove a bit and you'll see where we were. Its not obvious from the street. There is still some good smaller stuff in both places that should be easy to get with a smaller saw. Happy hunting.

Mike Vickery
07-29-2007, 3:26 PM
Don - Thay have not started demoing it yet. According to the guy I talked to out their they were just taking bids for the demo a month or so ago. Once the demo crew comes in usually the whole thing will be downed and hauled away in a day or two. No idea when they are going to start.
Martin - Get a second bar and you will not have to pull out the handsaw. My second bar save Kevin and I last week, we both managed to get our bars stuck at the same time on two different trees DUHHHHH!

Don Robert
07-29-2007, 4:17 PM
Thanks to both of you for the info. I'll see what I can find late Monday afternoon. Can't get there before that. Are some of the trees already down or do you have to cut down the ones you want pieces of?

Brett Baldwin
07-29-2007, 5:25 PM
That would depend on how big a piece you're looking for. Martin and I took pretty much all the big stuff from the tree we downed but there is plenty of stuff 8" diameter and less left from ours. I didn't pay close enough attention to Mike and Kevin's site to give you specifics on what's left there. If you are looking for big stuff, you'll probably have to fell one yourself.

Kevin McPeek
07-29-2007, 6:48 PM
My second bar save Kevin and I last week, we both managed to get our bars stuck at the same time on two different trees DUHHHHH!

Shhhh That was a secret Mike :cool:
But yeah a second bar is good... I now have an extra also. You know, just in case.

Keith Burns
07-29-2007, 8:37 PM
Now thats a haul !! Cangrats.

Martin Braun
07-30-2007, 12:14 AM
Brett - You saw how many times I almost pinched my saw. ;) I just got lucky.
Don - There are PLENTY of trees there. Unless we get the whole AWA out there, I don't think they will be gone. The closer to queen creek road, the bigger the diameter. I'm sure you can find something to fit your fancy. You'll want to park in one of the small run down houses on Gilbert. Just watch out for the broken glass, boards, etc. If you're really feeling vigorous, there are some palo verde & evergreen in the front by the houses.

Don Robert
07-31-2007, 12:30 AM
I spent about an hour there with my son-in-law who brought along my Stihl chain saw (well, he gets lots more use out of it than I was getting). We got about as much as you did, Brett, all from your left overs. My son-in-law may go back to cut down another tree to get some larger stuff. I am about to make a purchase on a 3520, so I have enough to last me for a while - although I will take more if my son-in-law goes back. I am getting the feeling that raw turning stock is a little like clamps - you never have enough.

Brett Baldwin
07-31-2007, 2:33 PM
Good to hear that more of it is being used. I hated leaving so much behind but the van was getting low in the back and I was running on empty. Enjoy.

Mike Vickery
07-31-2007, 3:28 PM
My wood pile is back under control so I may go back out in the next week or two to stock up again.
I hate to see good wood become landfill.

Martin Braun
07-31-2007, 8:00 PM
We should open our own tree demolition co-op. At this rate, we will have half the grove cleared by they time they fire up the bulldozer.

Mike - you're sure they were told to clear the whole grove, right? ;)