PDA

View Full Version : Lithophanes?????

Leo Voisine
07-28-2007, 8:28 PM
Has anyone ever made lithophanes?

I beleive Corian is a material to use.

Anyone know of a source of Corian sheet 1/4 or so thick?

Or

Is there something better I should consider?

Chris Costello
07-28-2007, 9:00 PM
I've seen some really interesting posts on this site about lithophanes. One in particular had a link to another CNC forum with lots of pics and posts about them. Do separate searches on lithophanes and corian, and you'll find them.

Chris Costello

Steve knight
07-28-2007, 10:52 PM
I have found 1/4" on ebay. I have cut them using photocarve. they can be slow to cut depending on how fine you cut them. I found if you use a 3/64" ball nose you can cut at 150 ipm. you can do the whole thing with just that bit.

Keith Outten
07-29-2007, 4:43 AM
Leo,

I purchased a sheet (30" by 96") of 1/4" Glasier White Corian that I received Friday. I have four feet left of the sheet if you need a piece.

Mike Null has made lithophanes with his laser engraver and of course lots of people machine them with CNC routers. Corian is the best material however some make lithophanes from white acrylic.

Mike Null
07-29-2007, 8:10 AM
Here is a previous thread which has some good examples. http://sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=567927&postcount=1

Balsanu Gabi
07-08-2012, 8:39 AM
Hi Mike,

Do you mind to share what tecnhnique do you use to make lithophanes?

Thank you
Gabi
Shenhui laser 500x700 on order

Mike Null
07-08-2012, 9:33 AM
Bahsanu

I simply took a b/w photo ad engraved it multiple times until I was able to clearly see the image. Back lighting it really showed it off. I would prefer working with a material with more transparency but I did this just to satisfy my curiosity and haven't done any since.

Keith Outten
07-08-2012, 12:27 PM
I can't trust my memory from an event two years ago but I think it was Jim Underwood that brought a couple of his Lithophanes to IWF in Atlanta. Send Jim a PM and ask for his help, his Lithophanes were top notch work. You should have heard the comments from visitors at the CAMaster booth when they saw the picture of his Mom he machined.

Mike, I attempted to laser engrave a Lithophane at CNU a few weeks ago. Although I could get the right amount of depth the picture wasn't processed properly so I need to try again.

Rodne Gold
07-08-2012, 4:00 PM
I have made them out of paper - thickish glossy photo paper - used the 3d mode on my laser and 3d engraved the paper with almost no char. When backlit or held to the light , you could see all the detail come out..was a geat "WOW" factor thing I used to show my customers back when I got my first laser and laser engravers were rare....never found a commercial use tho..would make for great lampshade tho - maybe try on parchment?
I would use either white or opal acrylic if you were going to give it a bash ..easy to find material that lasers well and is cheap

Balsanu Gabi
07-08-2012, 4:28 PM
Thank you for responses. Rodne you have 3D mode on which laser?
My question was related about a project where I need to make a round pocket with 9.1mm diameter and 1mm depth. With my cnc router is easy to do that (you can see and also can edit g-code), How can I do that on laser?

Thank you
Gabi