PDA

View Full Version : Router Table Decision

Dan Lautner
07-28-2007, 7:17 PM
I am looking for a router table and like the looks of the ProMax 40-087 cast Iron with base ($630 Amazon). I was going to pair this with the Milwaukee 5625-20 router. It seems that the router lifts are not necessary with a router that has above table controls? I looked at the Veritas set ($446) but thought the table was a bit small. I looked at the Jessem and did not like the PVC coated phenolic top (warping) or open base design. I'm still open to a small shaper but think a RT is more economical for bits. I will use this for general joinery, cabinets and anything else that comes along. I have a ton of things to do and have zero time to build my own at the moment so I must buy a ready to use product. Any advise or ideas about this purchase would be greatly appreciated

Thanks, Dan

Jason Beam
07-28-2007, 7:50 PM
Just a small note about the milwaukee 56xx routers (i have two) ... the above the table height adjustment works great, but you still have to reach under and unlock the router before you can make the adjustments. Not quite like the lifts work. I just thought you'd like to know :)

Dan Lautner
07-28-2007, 9:02 PM
OK, maybe I do want a lift after all. This router table system can get up to $1300 to $1400 real fast. Seems like you get more machine for the money with a shaper. What do you think about the promax lift?

Thanks, Dan

glenn bradley
07-28-2007, 9:12 PM
OK, maybe I do want a lift after all. This router table system can get up to $1300 to $1400 real fast. Seems like you get more machine for the money with a shaper. What do you think about the promax lift?

Thanks, Dan

As of last time I checked the Promax Lift does not fit the Mil 5625.

Jason Beam
07-28-2007, 11:15 PM

Thanks, Dan

I dunno that lift, nor have I used a shaper. But I can understand the cost building happening. It's really the biggest reason I built my own RT. I saved quite a bit there - maybe spent $200 to get a table worthy of a good $500 price tag. Every little bit helps :)

Edit: Oh, the lift i have is one of the Rousseau lifts made by jessem that fits the milwaukee routers. I can't say enough good about that lift. no backlash, perfectly smooth operation. Dead on stable :)

Jim Becker
07-29-2007, 9:26 AM
The cast iron top (and 4" extension) are awesome. Unless you are in a hurry or the deal is really wonderful on the combo with the cabinet, build your own cabinet. It's a great shop project.

I have the Bench Dog lift and it's also incredible. But I have a PC 7518 in it, not something like the Milwaukee machine. Someone above mentioned compatibility. Do note that you almost have to use the Bench Dog lift with the Bench Dog table top if you are going to use a lift. The size and corner radii for all those lifts tend to be different...

Bill Hylton
07-29-2007, 2:28 PM
Hi Dan,

One of the wonderful things about router tables is that with a minimal investment of time and money, you can transform a portable power tool into a stationary power tool. I'm quite sure the first ones were cobbled together on construction sites by screwing a router to a piece of plywood, and resting this tabletop on a couple of sawhorses. Clamp a straight board to the plywood and you've got a serviceable fence. You just may have these materials in your shop, so making such a table costs you only a half-hour of your time--probably less time than you've already spent shopping on-line for a manufactured table.

Bill

Jason Beam
07-29-2007, 3:32 PM
Hi Dan,

One of the wonderful things about router tables is that with a minimal investment of time and money, you can transform a portable power tool into a stationary power tool. I'm quite sure the first ones were cobbled together on construction sites by screwing a router to a piece of plywood, and resting this tabletop on a couple of sawhorses. Clamp a straight board to the plywood and you've got a serviceable fence. You just may have these materials in your shop, so making such a table costs you only a half-hour of your time--probably less time than you've already spent shopping on-line for a manufactured table.

Bill

Especially good advice if you've 1) never had a router table and dunno what you want ... or 2) HAVE had one and know what you want and don't want to spend the $$$$$$$ for it. You can almost always build a comparable or better quality table for less money than they're selling them for... That is, unless you want a cast iron one for some reason :P

EDIT: Oh!! WELCOME Mr. Hylton! I love your books :)

Dan Lautner
07-29-2007, 7:16 PM
Thanks for all the advice and info. I think I will go with Jim's idea about buying the cast iron top and building a stand. I hate buying things twice and always try and buy the best I can justify for tools. The big question I have is how you would work without a lift? It seems like you would have to change the height of the bit often to take multiple passes. I'm building a house and doing all the cabinetry and finished carpentry and need a solid fast system to work with. I looked at the non cast iron tops and just could not see them staying straight over many years.

Thanks, Dan

Jeffrey Schronce
07-29-2007, 9:33 PM
Adding to Jims comments, the Bench Dog CI table is awesome. The lift can curently be had on Amazon right now for $199. You guy a qualifing power tool ($10 GMC hand sander) and get 20% off one single accessory, which includes the BD lift. Great deal. You can probably create a second order with the BD CI router table and GMC sander for another 20% off. As Jim suggests building the cabinet is a better alternative IMHO.

Mark Borowsky
07-30-2007, 1:57 AM
I am considering buying an aluminum router table plate and setting it into the extension table on a delta 10" contractors saw. Figured I could attach a router fence to the unifence when I need it and save a) space and b) $$$$$. I have a small shop and budget to match.
Is this a crazy idea?
-Mark