PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and a few pens

Chris Johnson
01-21-2004, 8:00 PM
I heard about the Freedom Pens project and came to check the Creek out. Seems like a great bunch! Computer Nerd by trade, wood mangler by choice. Here are a few pics of some of my recent work.

The first was a challenge from the local Woodcraft manager. He said I always turned exotics, and handed me a walnut dowel and said I had to use it and only one other 'normal' wood.
The second was a challenge to myself to make a wood pen similiar to a nice metal pen I saw. Yes, the lower tube is recessed into the top, and no the angle is not straight, but curved.
This is the CUSA Gent jr I made for my Father while he was here over the holidays. It is Amboyna Burl and Real Ivory.

Kent Cori
01-21-2004, 8:13 PM
Digger,

These are just tremendously attractive pens. I am awed and humbled. You are clearly a pen artiste. I can hardly wait to see what you dream up for the troops overseas!

Julie Wright
01-21-2004, 8:14 PM
Very Nice looking Pens. I think the walnut dowel is really cool. Thanks for Sharing :)

Todd Burch
01-21-2004, 8:15 PM
Very nice Digger! Welcome!

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
01-21-2004, 10:19 PM
This is the CUSA Gent jr I made for my Father while he was here over the holidays. It is Amboyna Burl and Real Ivory.
[/list]

What type of Ivory did you use? I have a lot of pieces of pre-ban elephant ivory I've done laminating and inlay with. I really like the look on your pens, especially the "personal" touches. Excellent! Welcome and keep posting picts!

Jim Becker
01-21-2004, 10:22 PM
Wow!....those are great pens with some unique features. Welcome to the 'Creek and feel free to post more pictures! Very inspriing.

Jeff Skory
01-21-2004, 10:32 PM
Chris,

I have always thought making pens would be fun and the lathe probably would not take up too much room, but then I always figured that after the first 10-20 pens it would get very repetitive. Just different colored wood.

Man have you turned my thoughts around!! What gorgeous pens.

Maybe after I learn the other 10,000 woodworking skills with the new tools I own I'll delve into this aspect as well.

I've always had a soft spot for nice pents. All I can say is "Awesome".

Chris Johnson
01-21-2004, 11:15 PM
That would be elephant ivory, and thanks everyone, for the kind words. If you want to see more...all ya gots to do is ask!

Here is a lanyard pen made from stabilized black oak burl with Bethlehem olive wood accents. This was made from a detachable keyring kit and a Father Sing pen kit. The extra pieces from these kits and the angle euro above, made another poen and keyring. It hangs daily around the neck of my favorite mail lady who gets my wood packages for me.

What type of Ivory did you use? I have a lot of pieces of pre-ban elephant ivory I've done laminating and inlay with. I really like the look on your pens, especially the "personal" touches. Excellent! Welcome and keep posting picts!

Chris Johnson
01-21-2004, 11:29 PM
Well never let it be said that I can't inspire people to 'need' to buy new tools! Here is another pic. Jump on in, if you run out of pen turning ideas, let me know and I'll challenge you, like others challenge me.

This is a simple WC Classic American Rollerball made with Thuya Burl, Maranjimba and guitar pick guard from a very used Fender Stratocaster. I am currently working on a 'North Pole' calligraphy fountain pen for Santa. This particular Santa lives in Alaska, and sent 7000!!! letters from Santa this year to kids all ove the world. It was funded out of his own pocket. The pen is designed to look like a real north pole, having red and white diagonal stripes with snow covered top of the pole.

Chris,
Maybe after I learn the other 10,000 woodworking skills with the new tools I own I'll delve into this aspect as well.

I've always had a soft spot for nice pents. All I can say is "Awesome".

Brad Schafer
01-22-2004, 9:42 AM
exceptional on all counts ... although it really rubs me the wrong way to hear about someone cutting up a Strat. For SHAME. :D

b (guitar wonk)

Jason Tuinstra
01-22-2004, 9:54 AM
Digger,

Welcome. You got it right, this is a great group. Your pens look wonderful! Of all that you've shown, I think the Amboyna Burl and Real Ivory pen really stands out. That is a fine looking pen! I'm sure your father treasures it. Thanks for sharing. Jason

Keith Outten
01-22-2004, 2:10 PM
Chris,

Absolutely Inspirational!

Chris Johnson
01-22-2004, 7:29 PM
Read it again, it was only a piece of the pick guard. The guard was all scratched up and the guy wanted a replacement, and I got to use the old one for the banding in the pen. I still have quite a bit more of it.

exceptional on all counts ... although it really rubs me the wrong way to hear about someone cutting up a Strat. For SHAME. :D

b (guitar wonk)