PDA

View Full Version : Norm's Queen Anne Highboy- Stumped by Gooseneck

Charles Fernald
07-28-2007, 12:37 PM
I'd appreciate any help available on making this S shaped gooseneck molding. Specificially. I'm looking for router bit or shaper knife part numbers to make construction easier. This has been a difficult project and the gooseneck has me at a standstill. I'm using cherry, the 6/4 stuff is very spendy :eek: and I've already started over twice. Thanks, Charles

Mark Berenbrok
07-28-2007, 1:07 PM
Wallace Kunkel had an article in FWW #36 about using the radial arm saw to make curved mouldings. If you don't have access to that issue drop me a line and I'll send a copy.

John Gornall
07-28-2007, 2:23 PM
There have been a few articles in FWW over the years about gooseneck mouldings - there's one online if you have access: http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/ProjectsAndDesign/ProjectsAndDesignPDF.aspx?id=2403

Greg Crawford
07-28-2007, 3:10 PM
I recently saw Robert Millard's web page. He does federal period reproductions. I emailed him about doing curved molding by hand, and he said he carves his with hand chisels. He said he is not a good carver, but it isn't very hard. I plan on trying that for my next clock. You may want to look into that. Chisels are about the same price as router bits, sometimes less, and you can practice on cheaper wood than your 6/4 cherry. If it works, it won't burn and it would probably take less time as well.

One benefit I see is that you can miter the molding in before it has a profile, then carve the molding, and the corners will match perfectly! You also have a true hand made piece.

The last one I did, I did in two sections on the router table and glued them together. I couldn't find any bit or shaper knife that fit the profile, so was stuck doing it this way.

Lots of luck,

Greg

Randal Stevenson
07-28-2007, 4:37 PM
Wallace Kunkel had an article in FWW #36 about using the radial arm saw to make curved mouldings. If you don't have access to that issue drop me a line and I'll send a copy.

Is that Mr. Sawdust, or Jr?

don romans
07-28-2007, 5:01 PM
He leads you through the process, includes a DVD with full size templates.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1558707700/ref=sib_dp_pt/102-4905704-7040915#reader-linkhttp://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1558707700/ref=sib_dp_pt/102-4905704-7040915#reader-link

Robert LaPlaca
07-28-2007, 6:20 PM
Charles, when you purchased the plan from New Yankee wasn't there a video available? I watched the show a few times and it's one of the few Norm pieces I would ever consider building. I believe Norm used a combination of router bit's and even resorted to carving tools to make the gooseneck moulding..

Glen Huey would be another good detailed resource as Don mentioned..

Brett CoughlanAus
07-29-2007, 7:24 AM
I can recommend the Huey book - great stuff, lots of pics and detail. The FWW article on 21st century gooseneck mouldings is also good. I think resorting to hand tools is generally only on the last section of moulding where a router bit would struggle to reach.

Charlie Christian
03-14-2015, 2:15 PM
(Wallace Kunkel had an article in FWW #36 about using the radial arm saw to make curved mouldings. If you don't have access to that issue drop me a line and I'll send a copy.) Mark, can you send me a copy? Thank you. Charlie Christian, ohnick69@yahoo.com