PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 555 vs. 555x

Ken Frohnert
07-28-2007, 8:11 AM
I am looking at bandsaws as my first large powertool and there has been a lot of discussion on the forum as of late. My budget is around $500 and I want to use the saw to cut curves but since I also have access to rough sawn lumber - oak, hickory, poplar, etc - I will probably use it for some resaw work. Since I have not purchased a TS yet this will also have to serve it that capacity as best can be for a short time. Hopefully within a year I will have decent 2-3hp TS.

I have tried to find a used BS locally and the good ones get snapped up so quick that I don't have time to even get a look at them. Since I am a novice maybe new is a safer bet anyway.

I think the two Grizzly saws above are about the right price an are good saws offering a lot of features for the $. I think I am gooding to end up buying new. I have read the reviews on Amazon and the 555 is got a ton of good reviews there is only one review for the 555x but it is also positive.

The 555x is about $170 more than the 555. However, it has the cast iron wheels (555 are aluminium), 1.5 hp motor, light, and larger table. I don't know if the fence is any different than on the 555. While $170 is not a huge amount of money it is money that could be directed toward a compressor. So I would like to find out what members experiences have been with these two saws and if the $170 is really a necessary upgrade. I think I already know the anwser but thought I would ask anyway:)

Ray Dockrey
07-28-2007, 8:24 AM
I have had the 0555 for about three years and I absolutely love mine. I have the riser kit on it and I have never been in a situation where I needed more power. The fence that comes with it works really well and will allow you to adjust for lead if needed but I have not had to. I use Suffolk Machinery blades and the saw cuts dead straight. The only issue I have had is the guide bearings got gunked up and they locked up. I went to my sporting goods store and bought skate board/roller blade wheel bearings with good rubber seals and have not had a problem since. Got a package of sixteen for $20. The quality of the saw is very good and overall it is a very nice saw.

Jack Ganssle
07-28-2007, 11:11 AM
Ken, I've had the 555X for about 6 months and love the saw. I have the riser kit. The selling points for me were the ones you mentioned. I'm amazed at how well it resaws even with a narrow blade; with a 1/2" it goes dead straight, once the saw is tuned. I've had no luck with a Timberwolf 3/4". For some reason that does not cut straight. With the 1/2" the saw consistently cuts 0.020" thick slices, even from an 8" plank.

The lamp is badly positioned. Remove the top of the two mounting screws and tilt it over, away from the saw itself, and then redrill and rescrew the upper screw. Makes the light much more useful and it no longer shines in your eyes. I also changed the hex bolts that secure the blade guard to wing screws, since I change blades frequently and it's a pain to look for the hex wrench.

I also changed the little black blade tension knob to a nice 6" or so handwheel, which makes it so much faster and easier to tension things.

Jack

Ray Dockrey
07-28-2007, 2:13 PM
I didn't like the 3/4" either. Went with the 1/2" and it worked really well.

Bart Leetch
07-28-2007, 5:00 PM
I have the older G1019 band-saw & couldn't tension the
3/4" Timberwolf blade properly either I think this is normal for a 14" saw. I have a 1/2" TW blade on my saw too & it works well. I changed out my motor for a 1 1/2 HP motor I had in the shop & with the riser block can cut 12"thick material. Hang on to your old blade guard as the longer blade guard doesn't allow you full depth of cut it hits inside the top of the wheel housing.

I would go with the 555X & not even give it a second thought.

Ken Frohnert
07-30-2007, 6:41 AM
I know the 555 got great reviews on Amazon and I figured the 555x was much the same with a few improvements. Leaning toward saving the extra 170.

Ralph Lindberg
07-30-2007, 8:34 AM
The extra power alone makes the 555X worth the money