PDA

View Full Version : Daughters Bedroom Set

Craig Thompson
07-28-2007, 1:01 AM
My 8yr Daughter has been asking for her own furniture for the last couple years... now she has it.

She wanted to help build it, so I suggested she pick out the style. She dragged mom around and drew up what they wanted... The kicker is she actually helped.. ONE of the frame mortises was hand chiseled by her. I did the rest with my trusty PM Mortiser but we won't tell her that!! :D

frank shic
07-28-2007, 1:03 AM
That looks GREAT. I'm sure the curved face frames and doors and drawer fronts must have taken some effort!

Craig Thompson
07-28-2007, 1:05 AM
Sorry, Forgot the details...

Hard Maple with a Pigmented Laquer (to hide the fact that I used a lot of non grade A sap scraps), and White glaze.

Craig Thompson
07-28-2007, 1:49 AM
Critiques encouraged... I am going to start posting to this site so I can learn from the many skilled craftsmen here.

Alex Elias
07-28-2007, 5:01 AM
I find the desing pretty daring and I quite like it. Specially the chest of drawers; It seems a more balance than the tall piece.
How about a few pictures with the drawers and doors open.
Congratulations on the nice work and keep on sharing you great work.
Alex

Ron Blaise
07-28-2007, 6:03 AM
job to me! I like the curves too Craig, lot of hard work there. The most important thing is your customer's satisfaction;) she will always treasure what you have done for her. And just a warning, this is only the beginning :D

Jim Becker
07-28-2007, 11:35 AM
Wow...kid has good taste...and also likes to give dad a challenge! Well done!!

Charles Jackson III
07-28-2007, 9:08 PM
Nice work Craig.

Jeffrey Makiel
07-28-2007, 11:22 PM
Simply fabulous!

What a neat design. I love it when woodworkers stray away from traditional design and come up with their own stuff. This is a signature piece from start to finish. Looks like it was a bit tricky to build also.

Well done!

-Jeff :)

Craig Thompson
07-29-2007, 12:59 AM
Thanks for all the kind responses... Your going to make me want to start posting older jobs I've completed!!

Alex, I drove out of town for the weekend so I will try to repost those pictures early next week... but nothing special to show I regret. I just used my PC OmniJig for standard dovetails on the drawers... used maple for the sides and 1/2" Baltic for the Bottoms... It was my first real attempt at furniture and chickened out on doing the drawers with wood slides, I simply used euro slides. The Armoire is if fact a little tall on the top side... My wife wanted to have a Hanging rod... and a shelf below it, so it got a little taller than I wanted.

Ralph Okonieski
07-29-2007, 7:53 AM
"First real attempt at furniture?" I'm looking forward to your second and subsequent ones. The "rounded" sides really give it character. Wonderful!
The fact that your daughter helped is a precious bonus. Remember it fondly.

Evan Stockton
07-29-2007, 10:45 AM
Wow - If that's your first attempt at furniture, its one heck of an attampt - Both pieces came out looking awesome!

And, as others have pointed out:

a) Since they're based on her drawings, we can tell your kid has great taste, and
b) she has something she'll treasure forever - her time working with you. The furniture is simply the result of that (and a pretty darn awesome result, at that!)...

Thanks for sharing!

Bruce Page
07-29-2007, 11:41 AM
Craig, those are beautiful and will be passed down daughter to daughter.
The only critique I can offer is on the square knobs, they look great but will be very hard to keep aligned.