PDA

View Full Version : Will a sliding table saw fit?

Kendall Landry
07-27-2007, 11:05 PM
Hello to all. I"d like your help in figuring out weather or not a Mini Max SC4WS or an S315WS will fit and work in this shop addition I am building. Main concern is ripping 4 x 8 sheets. Cross cutting might not work with full sheet but that should not be a problem. Thanks for any help.

Bill Fleming
07-27-2007, 11:10 PM
I was just thinking about doing the same analysis, not really ready but the planning is fun.

Anyway - call Carl at MiniMax and he will get you some info. on size and operational needs.

Cheers - Bill

Kendall Landry
07-27-2007, 11:22 PM
Thanks Bill. Dain Kirkpatrick sent me some info on three different michines. One was the S315WS but with no space requirments for it. Don't care to talk to salespoeple over the phone but guess i don't have much choice. Thanks for the advice.

David DeCristoforo
07-27-2007, 11:29 PM
It will "fit" just fine...right in front of those big doors. You have plenty of room to accomidate a shorter stroke slider and even with a longer one, you still have room. You can hug the wall on the fence side as tight as you want. You are going to be doing some "walking around" but not much more really than with a fixed table saw.

Don Bullock
07-28-2007, 12:03 AM
If one will fit into Jim Becker's shop, itshould fit into your space. Perhaps you'd be interested in the following thread posted by Jim.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=51276

Kendall Landry
07-28-2007, 12:15 AM
Thanks David. I need a sliding table saw that can deal with full sheets the way i need it to. Not the way its limmited to. Leaning towards the SC4WS with 8 1/2 slider. This shood fill the bill. Thanks again.

Kendall Landry
07-28-2007, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the link Don. :)

Craig Feuerzeig
07-28-2007, 7:17 AM
My 8 foot slider takes up about 12' wide X 20" long. Looks like she'll fit no problem. You'll want to be able to cross cut though...If you can't crosscut the full sheet to square it up, you might as well stay with a standard table saw, in my opinion.

Paul B. Cresti
07-28-2007, 9:12 AM
Ask for the literature that lists all of the dimensions. I did and it was quite useful in laying out my sliders.

I am making the assumption that you will be using the long wall for your slider area....position the slider so that table side/board side is against the long wall and you are sliding towards the double door. Place the saw so that it allows you to pull the slider all the way back towards the interior of your shop and still have a little room to walk around. Keep in mind you will need 8.5ft + the handle + a little extra, behind the blade. If you can not fit the full forward stroke, do not worry...that is what the overhead door is for. I would still position the saw to allow a full 8ft+ rip with the door closed but if it does not work that way it is not the end of the world.

Consider how you will be loading the saw. The best place to load is from the side via the roller on the outrigger table, see if you can allow for an area to roll a sheet up on a cart and then flip onto the the saw. This the best case scenario for loading...which I do not have. I load from the back of the saw (left of the operators side) and place sheets on at table and slide onto the sliding carriage...not ideal but I am not in a high production environment either.

Crosscutting very long objects, including full sheets, will require the distance on the operator side also, try to maximize this. In you case this would be the center area of your shop.

Jim Becker
07-28-2007, 11:31 AM
Kendell, I see you have SketchUp! I'm attaching a Mini Max S315 SW graphic (as well as an FS350 and MM16) graphic to play with in your diagram. They are not perfect, but relatively correct relative to size. For the 2600mm slider (8'6") you'll need 19' for the total throw, but for width, you can judge relative to what you intend to cut on the machine. I don't rough crosscut long boards, for example, at the slider...I still use my miter saw for that. In my shop, it's more convenient that way.

With the saw, you "could" also cut down the fence if you need to for more lateral space for the outrigger. I left mine at 50", but conceivably could shorten things in the future if I decided it would benefit my needs.

David DeCristoforo
07-28-2007, 2:06 PM
Don't forget that crosscutting rarely requires the full stroke, and rarely more than 4'. So even with the outrigger fully extended, you should still have a very comfortable space for this. I might think about rotating the assy. table 90 degrees to optimize the clear space on the saw side.

Charlie Plesums
07-28-2007, 2:27 PM
I have the CU410 elite combo in my garage - see www.plesums.com/wood/shop/carfit.html (http://www.plesums.com/wood/shop/carfit.html) for how I can also get a car in the garage (but not every day). The Minimax slliding saws are close to the same size... they have a wider table, while my machine uses the jointer table to provide extra width to the saw table. Count on at least 17 feet for the slider, from one extreme to the other, but my slider passes over my workbench (as long as I don't have too much junk stacked there), and comes up to the lathe (nobody can be using the lathe while I cut large pieces.... but I am a one person shop, so...)

I have never been able to use the roller on the outrigger to load sheet goods, but I put an edge in the corner between the outrigger and slider (with the slider locked) and pivot the sheet into position. Sounds hard, but I don't even have to shut down the saw to load another sheet.

To answer your question, it looks like you have more space than I do, and a couple options where it could be located.

Mark Hubler
07-28-2007, 3:29 PM
I have a .pdf of the S315 brochure I can email you, if you like. But here are the dimensions.

Kendall Landry
07-28-2007, 4:05 PM
Thank you so much guys. This is a great help! Even though i think you answer questions like this over and over. :o Thanks again. :)

Jim Becker
07-28-2007, 4:25 PM
I have a .pdf of the S315 brochure I can email you, if you like. But here are the dimensions.

Mark, that's the diagram I built my SketchUp! component from for the saw. It really helped when I was figuring things out "on paper", err...screen...prior to my saw's arrival!

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-28-2007, 5:34 PM
Yah you can get a slider in there easy~!! . Just don't order a 15 foot table get one that'll rip an 8' board tho.