PDA

View Full Version : 6"Jet Jointer Problem

Carroll Courtney
07-27-2007, 8:25 PM
Will guys I have had this jointer for about 4yrs now,and decited to do a tune up on it.First I clean it up,then wax the table and moving parts.Will while I was down low,I notice that the tables were not parallel with the bottom of the fence.So I took my machinest 48" ruler and layed across the tables and notice lite on both tables towards the cutting head.I can slide a piece of paper under the tables all the way down (both) till about the last six inches.I would say theres about 64th at the cutter head and it tapers down to the last 6" before it hangs up.Is there any way to correct this,maybe just on the table that adjusts for the infeed?Just don't want to have to take this to a machine shop and have it machined.I don't know if there is something wrong with the jibs or what? Any suggestions or a process to take to correct this?Thanks again SMC. Carroll

Greg Crawford
07-27-2007, 8:38 PM
Carroll,

I think the way to correct that is to shim the dovetail ways. You definitely don't want to go have it machined.

Joe Branch
07-27-2007, 8:48 PM
As you have noticed the last 4 years, the fence is not required to be parallel to the tables for the jointer to function properly. Look at some pictures of old iron. There you will see exaggerated tilts on the fence, but they do what they have to do.

David Tiell
07-27-2007, 8:57 PM
I used the same jointer for about 8 years. Yes, you need to shim the ways. I've heard of people making shims from aluminum soda cans. There should be no need to take it to a machine shop.