PDA

View Full Version : What Magazines do you get

Ken Garlock
07-27-2007, 6:17 PM
I have let myself subscribe to a total of 10 wood working magazines, and that is too many. I want to cut back.:)

OK, No Poll, for some reason my list of 10 magazines was rejected.

I plan on keeping:
Fine Woodworking
Woodwork
Shop Notes
Wood Smith

One that are up for review as their subscriptions expire are:
Woodcraft
American Woodworker
Woodworkers Journal
Workbench
Wood
Popular Woodworking

Your comments are welcome.

Art Mulder
07-27-2007, 6:19 PM
What vote?

1- Fine Woodworking
2- Canadian Home Workshop.

Steven Triggs
07-27-2007, 6:20 PM
I did a poll on this a little while back. You might want to check it out:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=58820

Nancy Laird
07-27-2007, 6:23 PM
1. Fine Woodworking
2. Wood
3. Woodsmith
4. Shop Notes
...and several more.

If we had to cut back, these are the four we would keep.

Steven Triggs
07-27-2007, 6:32 PM
Oh, and my thoughts on this, from an email I recently sent a friend who is getting into woodworking:

Fine Woodworking - favorite, but very expensive

Wood - best value, because you can often get 3 years for $28 and it has a lot of content.
I like the magazine a lot, but after subscribing for several years, it is getting somewhat repetitive. For someone who has not read it, I would definitely suggest subscribing for a few years until you start seeing articles that are virtually repeats. Given the cost for my subscription (about $1.50/issue), I keep it going because as long as I enjoy at least every other issue, it is still an outstanding deal.

Popular Woodworking - good

American Woodworker and Woodworker's Journal - I'm new to them, but so far my impression is that they are descent, but not great.

WoodSmith and ShopNotes - I like them, but they seem kind of expensive for the amount of content (probably due to lack of advertising)

Ken Garlock
07-27-2007, 6:33 PM
I did a poll on this a little while back. You might want to check it out:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=58820

Thanks Steven, your poll is good input.

Art Mann
07-27-2007, 6:34 PM
Fine Woodworking
Shop Notes

Steve Clardy
07-27-2007, 6:36 PM
CabinetMaker
Shop Notes
Wood

Jason Beam
07-27-2007, 7:48 PM
I have:

Fine Woodworking
Shopnotes
WOOD
Popular Woodworking
American Woodworker

And I just let go of Popular Woodworking.

I would probably rank 'em as:

1. Shopnotes
2. Fine Woodworking
3. WOOD

Then it's a tossup between amwood and popwood.

I'm considering picking up woodsmith or workbench. Gotta sample a few first.

Jim Becker
07-27-2007, 8:03 PM
I take Fine Woodworking, Woodworks and Fine Homebuilding. And This Old House Magazine for "library" entertainment...

Matt Meiser
07-27-2007, 8:06 PM
I get Wood, Popular Woodworking, Fine Woodworking and Woodsmith. Fine Woodworking has really gone down hill IMHO and Popular Woodworking has really improved. Wood almost always has something of interest. Woodsmith either is interesting or of no interest when it comes since there is so little content--usually just a couple projects and other articles.

Bill Huber
07-27-2007, 8:25 PM
Right now I am getting Fine Woodworking and I have been thinking about getting Shop Notes. There are so many post on the forum that say see shop notes ## and then the next one is I saw that in shop notes ##.
So I am thinking of getting it.

glenn bradley
07-27-2007, 8:50 PM
I let your expire list go too. I will be geting Wood again as it was a gift. I keep ShopNotes and Woodsmith as do you. I subscribe to the online version of FWW.

Gary Keedwell
07-27-2007, 8:56 PM
What vote?

1- Fine Woodworking
2- Canadian Home Workshop.

:eek: Is this the same Mulder that has a letter in FWW Mag. about casters? I picked up the Mag from a pile the other nite and said "I recognize that name," ;) I also saw Dave Falkinstein (sp) name in one of them. Gets to be a small world, huh?
Gary K.

Gary Keedwell
07-27-2007, 8:58 PM
1. Fine Woodworking
2. Wood
3. Woodsmith
4. Shop Notes
...and several more.

My list looks alot like Nancy"s.:)

Gary K.

Rob Bodenschatz
07-27-2007, 9:08 PM
No one's mentioned Woodworking Magazine. Great, great magazine. Just bought them all on CD.

Popular Woodworking and FWW are my other favorites right now. I have the internet version of FWW.

I also get Wood, Shop Notes, Workbench, TOH and Fine Homebuilding. They're all ok.

Art Mulder
07-27-2007, 9:10 PM
I take Fine Woodworking, Woodworks and Fine Homebuilding. And This Old House Magazine for "library" entertainment...

Hey, first time I've seen TOH mag listed in a survey like this. I've browsed it a few times, but never actually checked into a subscription. FHB is very nice also, but I can't justify buying it, but that's okay as I can usually borrow it at the library every now and then.

:eek: Is this the same Mulder that has a letter in FWW Mag. about casters? I picked up the Mag from a pile the other nite and said "I recognize that name," ;) I also saw Dave Falkinstein (sp) name in one of them. Gets to be a small world, huh?
Gary K.

Who me? (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=56061) :p

Was funny when my brother walked into the house carrying the issue saying "Hey, look at this!"

Paul Douglass
07-27-2007, 9:14 PM
I have taken several but have stuck with Wood the longest. I started Wood Smith a couple months ago. I'm really thinking of letting them all expire and subscribing to Fine Woodworking online. Let them store all those articles I can never find when I want them. I have magazines by the cupboards full but I can never go bank and find something I want. FWW online will let me do a search for what I want. That has to be good.

Brent Dowell
07-27-2007, 9:44 PM
1. Fine Woodworking
2. Wood
3. Woodsmith
4. Shop Notes
...and several more.

Saved me the trouble of posting my list.....

I agree, exactly...

Brent Dowell
07-27-2007, 9:49 PM
I have magazines by the cupboards full but I can never go back and find something I want. FWW online will let me do a search for what I want. That has to be good.

Tell me about it.

I made a rocking horse for my Niece, a long time ago. I still had the hardboard templates I had made for it and I wanted to make the same one for my boss when she had a child. I had to look in every single magazine I have. I must have spent hours going through all the boxes of magazines I had in order to find it.

Guess what? It was literally in the last magazine I looked at. No joke, the very last one out of hundreds and hundreds.. It was a "Today's WoodWorker" from 1989.

Still, a very unusual and nice looking rocking horse made of maple and walnut. She's already had her little boy. Now I just need to get it made before his first birthday!

brian j waloweek
07-27-2007, 10:33 PM
my girlfriend has suscribed me to toh and family handyman for the past four years, i like them both , i usally get some oddball tips out of them,
in the past i suscribed to shop notes and liked it. i'm not big on woodworking mags, i prefer home remodeling and improvement types.

Jim C Bradley
07-27-2007, 11:39 PM
Hi All of you
For what it is worth: Shop Notes and Wood. I started with these and continue to subscribe. I have tried three others and let the subscription die.
Woodworking is strictly a hobby for me.
Enjoy,
Jim

Mark Rios
07-28-2007, 12:01 AM
I subscribe to Vacuum Cleaner Monthly and This Week in Brooms.

Exhilarating reading..............

;)

Gary Keedwell
07-28-2007, 12:12 AM
[quote=Mark Rios;629570]I subscribe to Vacuum Cleaner Monthly and This Week in Brooms.

Hmmmmm 12:01 AM......:D

Gary K.:) Is there such publications?

Terry Fogarty
07-28-2007, 1:09 AM
[quote=Mark Rios;629570]I subscribe to Vacuum Cleaner Monthly and This Week in Brooms.

Hmmmmm 12:01 AM......:D

Gary K.:) Is there such publications?

Yes there is Garry:) I think they will be right up your alley:)

Frank Stolten
07-28-2007, 1:10 AM
Popular Woodworking: It just keeps improving and has far more coverage of hand tools than any of the others. I like the direction it's going. Chris Schwarz, the editor, has a new book coming out in September on workbench design and usage. Excellent blog and e-newsletter. Had the best coverage of AWFS I've seen.

Woodworking: Sister publication to Pop Woodworking, no advertising and has excellent in-depth articles and tool usage commentary. It's available in either CD or print and all back issues can be had on CD.

FWW: good but expensive plus it seems like it's slipping and has much the same types of articles as the other mags. Not much to separate it from the others anymore.

Wood: Good variety of articles though most are geared to the newly beginning ww'er and the projects generally aren't very exciting. Still, it's a good value so I'll probably keep it for a while.

SECOND TIER
Woodworkers Journal
American Woodworker
Woodsmith
Shopnotes

Randal Stevenson
07-28-2007, 1:34 AM
Besides remembering the fact that these can/do make good gift idea's (any expiring around Christmas?), don't forget to see what your local library carries. You might be better off to go copy any projects you want to build and then subscribe to the ones they don't carry.

Chuck Lenz
07-28-2007, 9:41 AM
Woodsmith and ShopNotes.

Gary Keedwell
07-28-2007, 11:02 AM
[quote=Gary Keedwell;629578]

Yes there is Garry:) I think they will be right up your alley:)

Oh no....Troll feeding.......;)

Gary K.

Art Mulder
07-28-2007, 11:56 AM
And This Old House Magazine for "library" entertainment...

Now you've done it... They've got a pretty cheap deal on their website and I succumbed. ($16 for one year US, $26 Canada)

Mark Singer
07-28-2007, 8:13 PM
Fine Woodworking, Woodwork and Not so fine woodworking:rolleyes:

Scot Ferraro
07-29-2007, 12:30 AM
I like the following:

Fine Woodworking, Popular Woodworking, Woodwork and Woodshop News. The latter is actual a bargain -- something like $12 per year and it has some pretty good articles on things that the other magazines do not cover -- profiles on different woodworkers, the "business" side of woodworking for those in the profession.

Thanks!

Scot

Don Bullock
07-29-2007, 8:48 AM
Ken,
Since I'm just getting back into woodworking as a hobby I've ordered a several mags to try them out. As they come up for renewal I plan to look back on the copies I've received to see which publications that I found valuable to me.

So far here's my list of keepers (may change):
Fine Woodworking
Shop Notes
Wood
Popular Woodworking (for at least one moore year - seems to be improving)

My maybe I'll keep list:
American Woodworker (perhaps - not sure yet)
Woodwork (only have a couple of issues - looks good so far)

Ones I'm definately dropping:
Woodshop News

Ones that I haven't subscribed to yet:
Wood Smith
Woodcraft
Woodworkers Journal
Workbench

My approach to woodworking is perhaps a lot different than most. I learn a lot from reading magazines and books on a subject I'm interested in. By subscribing to the magazines I'm exposed to many ideas and facts that I would not be exposed to without them. While I may not believe everything I read or like every project in a magazine, I take what I want from them and apply it to what I'm doing or what I plan to do. I'm sure that in a few years my list will dwindle down, but for now I'm learning a lot from most of the magazines and many of the projects are at least inspiring me to keep designing and creating.

I must add that Sawmill Creek has been much better than any of the magazines as far as I'm concerned. Because of the people here I've been able to get up and running much sooner than I wold have if I hadn't found this forum.

Graham Skinner
07-29-2007, 10:51 AM
1) Fine Woodworking

and thats about it realy :)

Matt Chantry
07-29-2007, 11:00 AM
1. Woodwork
2. Woodworking
3. Edifice (Canadian restoration carpentry magazine)
4. Furniture & Cabinetmaking (I was surprised no one mentioned this one).
5. WoodenBoat

Rob Bodenschatz
07-29-2007, 11:43 AM
1) Fine Woodworking

and thats about it realy :)

Yeah, especially with the online subscription, you'd be in pretty good shape with just that one. :)

Don Taylor
07-29-2007, 5:21 PM
I'm at a loss here? I paid for the online FWW and enjoy it but every one of the magazines I have looked at is 75% advertising. Their articles are VERY prejudiced towards their own paid advertising as are their reviews. What is the big attraction?

DT

Mike Minto
06-13-2008, 2:26 PM
Does it seem to anyone else that many of the major woodworking mags have articles on similar subjects at the same time? this month, 3 mags with lots of articles on planes - next issue, multiple articles on furry screwdriver covers. know what i mean? is it by design, or purely by accident? mike:cool:

Greg Hines, MD
06-13-2008, 3:09 PM
I subscribe to several, though one that I am going to add is Router and Power Tool Woodworking after some of my second tier subscriptions run out. I have bought several off the stand, and am really enjoying it too. Other than that, I like most of them. I think ShopNotes and Woodsmith are at the top, but also like Wood, Popular Woodworking, Woodworkers Journal, and Fine Woodworking.

Doc

Dewey Torres
06-13-2008, 4:05 PM
Fine WW
Woodworkers Journal
American WW
Workbench
Woodcraft
Popular WW
Wood
Woodworking
Shop Notes
Woodsmith
The Family Handyman
Scrollsawer

Hmmm... that may not be all but it is close.

Dewey

David G Baker
06-13-2008, 7:04 PM
SMC is the only subscription that I need. If I have a need for ideas or direction I then go searching.

Steve Beadle
06-13-2008, 7:43 PM
I subscribe to Fine Woodworking, Popular Woodworking and Wood. I will let Wood expire, but plan to keep FWW and Popular Woodworking. FWW was my favorite for years and years, but now it's Popular Woodworking. I do take a look at other woodworking magazines on the newstands, and buy if there is something that interests me in a particular issue. I'm running a bit behind, but I also catalog all the articles of interest to me on my computer, so that I can later search for articles pertinent to current activities in the woodshop. I think I have about 5,000 articles collected--a little obsessive, I admit! But that way I can access the articles I actually possess, not just have an index of all the articles in a particular magazine, issues of which I may not have purchased.

Peter Quinn
06-13-2008, 7:47 PM
I subscribe to FWW and pick up others per issue when they pic my interest.

Jack Camillo
06-13-2008, 8:41 PM
fine woodworking, popular woodworking, and chris schwarz's woodworking

Jack Camillo
06-13-2008, 8:43 PM
how would folks rate "shopnotes" against fww, pop ww, and woodworking mag? Actually I've never seen "shopnotes" but I'm sure I run across references to it.

Greg Hines, MD
06-13-2008, 10:09 PM
how would folks rate "shopnotes" against fww, pop ww, and woodworking mag? Actually I've never seen "shopnotes" but I'm sure I run across references to it.

Shopnotes and Woodsmith are both similar, in that they are entirely subscriber-supported, and do not have any advertisements in them. They also have a great breadth of projects, from simple to complex, for beginners to experts. I have issues that use a router to build your own jointer, and a table saw to make your own thickness sander. They are two of the better magazines out there in my opinion.

Doc

Dar Lounsbury
06-14-2008, 2:35 PM
I would like to take advantage of the subscription pricing but everything I get by mail seems to have visited the postal shredder before I get it. Covers missing or torn off, books wadded up. How can I be the only lucky one? I like the magazines that come in a bag or envelope but with costs going up, these will decline.

It may cost a little more by purchasing at the store but at least they look like I got to read it first.

Dar