PDA

View Full Version : cypress Hollow form #3

Dan Oliphant
07-27-2007, 5:49 PM
This is the third cypress hollow form completed this week. Measures 7 inches high by 4 3/4 inches diameter, The finish on this piece is light brown dye followed by pale shellac top coat, buffed.
Sorry about the glare.
I do have a guestion on this piece, how does one get the inside diameter coated without it looking like garbage?????
Critiques and comments welcome.

Allen Neighbors
07-27-2007, 6:54 PM
Beautiful grain in this piece... how does cypress turn? (besides round and round). :) Looks like a nice little vase, Dan.
Somewhere there is a rule of form (don't remember what the correct term is) that says the widest diameter should be located at a point one-third of the distance down from the top, or up from the bottom, and that the bottom should be 1/3 of the diameter, I think. I also heard someone say that if you're going to deviate from the rule of form, then really deviate... make it obvious. I'm no expert, anyway... just what I've heard.
As far as the inside is concerned, I just coat it with whatever I use on the outside. I've heard of coating the inside with black gesso, so it doesn't draw attention to, and actually makes it harder to see, inside. When the opening is large enough to see into well, I just sand it, and, if I am using an oil finish, I pour it in, slosh it around to cover well, and pour it out. Sometimes I pour lacquer in and out the same way, and let it drain well, then sand the opening a little to remove the drip.
Anyway, good job, Dan.

Bernie Weishapl
07-27-2007, 7:37 PM
Dan that is a good looking vase. I do like the wood. I do the same as Allen. I sand the inside the same as I do the outside. If I use oil, lacquer, or poly I just pour it in and slosh it around till the inside is coated. Pour it out and finish the outside.

Dan Oliphant
07-27-2007, 7:40 PM
Allen, cypress is soft, not like pine but still soft, is very easy to remove material from the inside of a vessel. I don't think I would like to work with it all that often, but it is fun for a few pieces.

Tom Sherman
07-27-2007, 9:56 PM
Dan I like this one a lot too.

Terry Quiram
07-28-2007, 8:23 AM
Dan

One of the members of our turning club paints the inside of all his deep hollows with black paint. It really doesn't look bad.

Terry

Steve Schlumpf
07-28-2007, 10:38 AM
Nice looking vase Dan! Color and finish look great!