PDA

View Full Version : Cypress Hollow Forms

Dan Oliphant
07-27-2007, 5:39 PM
Two of three hollow forms that were completed this week, trying various shapes and sizes to see what I think might be worth repeating in the future.
First vessel is 7 inches high by 4 inches diameter, finish is buffed pale shellac.
Second vessel is 6 1/2 inches high by 3 1/4 inches diameter (base is 2 1/4 inches) finish is buffed pale shellac.

Critiques and comments welcome.

Don Eddard
07-27-2007, 6:53 PM
Nice job Dan. I prefer the form of first of these two. The curves on both do seem to make rather abrupt changes, instead of being more continuous.
Another case where taking off a little more wood could help improve the form IMHO.

That said, keep it up. You're doing good.

Allen Neighbors
07-27-2007, 7:03 PM
I also prefer the one on the left; I'm curious about the thickness of the one on the right. Seems like it would be difficult to hollow that outline and keep it uniform. Was it? What hollowing tools did you use?
I'm also curious about the pale shellac. I've never used shellac... do you apply it with a brush, rag, or sandpaper, or spray it? And do you turn it and rub it dry, or do you set it aside to cure?
Just questions from a curious old coot. :)

Bernie Weishapl
07-27-2007, 7:29 PM
Dan very well done. I also like the form and finish on the first one.

Dan Oliphant
07-27-2007, 7:34 PM
Thanks for the comments. Allen, the smaller piece was quite easy to form. All were rough turned, DNA soak (24 hours) wrapped up and put on the shelf for 30 days. Tooling was the John Jordan hollowing tools.
The shellac is one of the easiest finishes one can use in my opinion. I buy dewaxed flakes and mix my own. These were all sprayed using a Binks touch up HVLP spray gun, allowed to cure for 20/24 hours then dry sanded using 600 grit paper then buffed.

Tom Sherman
07-27-2007, 9:52 PM
Nice job on both forms Dan, my preference is the first one though.