PDA

View Full Version : Fixed a problem with the Bosch RA1165

Bill Huber
07-27-2007, 2:37 PM
I have a small Bosch router table and the under table base (RA1165) which I like very well. I am just not doing enough work yet to justify a really good table and lift.

When I went to raise the router, I unlatched it as normal and then turned the wrench to raise it and nothing happened. So I looked under the table as I turned the wrench to raise it to see what was going on.
The snap ring was out of the grove and was up on the shaft. So there was no way it would raise, just the snap ring would go higher on the shaft.

Pulled it out and looked at it, that really is not a very good way to do it so I fixed it right, cost $2.60 but it is fixed the way it should have been to start with.

Went by the local Ace Hardware store and picked up a 1/4 inch collar and a nylon washer. I backed the shaft out of the base and remove the snap ring, put the nylon washer on and then the collar screwed the shaft back up and then tightened set screw in the collar.

I did leave out that I filed a flat on the shaft so as to have a good seat for the set secrew and replaced the stock set screw with a locking one.

Works great and will last forever.

Just in case anyone else has had the problem.

Jameel Abraham
07-27-2007, 2:41 PM
Great fix Bill. I have the same setup and can't count how many times I've turned too far and heard the ping of the snap ring fly across the shop. I have found it everytime though! What are the chances?

Did you loose any height adjustment?

Can you post a pic?

Bill Huber
07-27-2007, 3:03 PM
Great fix Bill. I have the same setup and can't count how many times I've turned too far and heard the ping of the snap ring fly across the shop. I have found it everytime though! What are the chances?

Did you loose any height adjustment?

Can you post a pic?

You loose nothing, the collar is above the part that would block any movement. ....

Jameel Abraham
07-29-2007, 5:39 PM
Thanks Bill. I must have an older model, since the shaft on mine stops above where you have the collar. It does not continue up. I checked this out on Amazon, and it looks like they now make this with the longer shaft and the capability to adjust the height from above with a hex wrench. Shoot! This is nice, I wonder if I can retrofit mine.

Bill Huber
07-29-2007, 6:56 PM
Thanks Bill. I must have an older model, since the shaft on mine stops above where you have the collar. It does not continue up. I checked this out on Amazon, and it looks like they now make this with the longer shaft and the capability to adjust the height from above with a hex wrench. Shoot! This is nice, I wonder if I can retrofit mine.

The R1165 is for under the table, the R1160 is the fixed base. Now all you need to convert it is the long screw. I just looked at my fixed base and it is the same base as the R1165 but has a shot screw.

So I think all you would need to do is call a Bosch parts dealer and order the screw and you would then have an under the table base that will adjust from the top.

Good luck.

Jameel Abraham
07-29-2007, 9:24 PM
Good idea. I'm going to check out that part...thanks!

Jim Chaney
09-03-2014, 4:40 PM
Great fix Bill and I fixed mine with your hint and instruction. I had avoided using this base since it did not work at all without the fine adjustment. After using the repaired base, I agree that this is the way it should have been to start with. Thanks!

Ellery Becnel
09-06-2014, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the tip Bill. I bought my shaft collar and nylon washer today. I got busy making some end grain cutting boards and a kerfmaker today. That upgrade will happen very soon.

Paul Mazaika
05-03-2018, 2:24 PM
So happy to find this post! I couldn't figure out why my lift suddenly stopped working. I played with it for quite a while but just assumed that it maybe wore out. Started pricing out other lifts...expensive for what my time on the machine is. Not to mention none fit my current table so it was getting even more time consuming/expensive.
I will be stopping at Ace Hardware tonight on my way home. Can't wait to try the fix. Thank you so much for posting this all those years ago!

Denis Dubrule
01-22-2020, 12:42 PM
Bill, I had the same problem just this past weekend with the RA1166 fixed base that is provided with the 1617EVS router. I too thought a collar would be a better design so I was pleased to see your post from years ago. (Bosch should pay heed.) However it the grip that base has on the router was not so tight, this wouldn’t be an issue. As it is though, I have difficulty pulling the router out of the base and then putting it back in. I tried smoothing out the imperfections in the base and the router housing with steel wool but it’s still very tight. (Note, the plunge base works very smoothly but cannot be used with the router table.) On a whim I removed the base from the router table plate and it seems to slide more freely so perhaps it’s twisting the base a little. I then went back to the Bosch instruction manual and read that this other base, i.e. RA1165, can be used with the table. Before I purchase one I thought I’d ask you if you have any difficulty with the way the router slides or moves in this base.

Nathan Bodwin
03-27-2023, 9:52 AM
@Bill, thank you for posting this improvement/fix idea. Your method is way more robust and putting it into place was way easier than trying to keep putting that snap ring back on.