PDA

View Full Version : possibilities with corian

Rafael Carias
07-27-2007, 1:39 PM
Has anyone here seen slab doors or any thing other then counter tops made of corian?

Chuck Lenz
07-27-2007, 1:46 PM
My guess would be that Corian isn't a structural product, the cost and weight would also be a factor. Unless your talking about small swinging bar style doors, but a fullsize entry door I don't se it happening.

Jim O'Dell
07-27-2007, 1:52 PM
I think it would be great material to use for window sills, especially the way my dogs tear up the wooden ones!! Jim.

Rick Lizek
07-27-2007, 1:59 PM
I've seen furniture, lamps, decorative things, etc, made of Corian. Years ago they had a group of well known furniture makers experiment and push the boundaries of the product and they did some really interesting stuff such as laminating different colors and sandblasting through layers. There's various spinn off products such as the spray on solid surfacing materials. Corian is but one of many solid surface materials available.

Doug Shepard
07-27-2007, 2:04 PM
Ya mean like this?
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15693
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15882

Rafael Carias
07-27-2007, 3:31 PM
My guess would be that Corian isn't a structural product, the cost and weight would also be a factor. Unless your talking about small swinging bar style doors, but a fullsize entry door I don't se it happening.

Chuck

Just to clarify, what i meant to say was slab cabinet doors.

Ben Grunow
07-27-2007, 9:25 PM
I used some on my boat to cap a storage locker. The pieces were 2' x 3' with support at the edges and seats mounted on pedestals in the middle. Lasted as long as I owned the boat without issue.

I think slab doors would be fine, if not a little heavy, if made from 1/2" corian. It was thicker 10 years ago (3/4"). Screw holding is good but predrilling (and maybe tapping) are essential as the material will heat up and grab your screw if the hole is too small and most just shear off instead of coming back out. Through bolts possible? Think about it anyway.

Ben

Tim Quigley
07-27-2007, 9:30 PM
Pretty common to use them as window sills. Both my brother and parents have them thoughout their houses down in Florida. I've also seen an episode of this old house where they used it as a surround for a shower. And, I think I've seen folks talk about using it as a top for a router table. Great durable material and should be cheap to get in small cutoffs from the local cabinet and counter shop.

tim

Chuck Lenz
07-27-2007, 11:31 PM
Tim, I was thinking about useing it as a router table top a few months ago but I decided not to for the reason that it's only a 1/2" thick I found out, and checking around town contractors wanted about $40 for a double sink cutout. The Woodpeckers aluminum plate I bought is 3/8" thick so that would only leave me 1/8" for a bottom lips to set the plate onto. I'm not sure how deep miter channel is but I'd guess it would be pretty close to 1/2" deep. I'm going to endup useing 1 1/4" MDF with Formica on both sides and a rubber edge, it's all marked and ready router out. Now all I need to do is figure out how I want to make the cabinet. I'd like to have drawers for bits but still have it as a benchtop cabinet. I don't have enough room in the shop for a fullsize cabinet on wheels. I bought a new PC 890 router, the plate and ringset, and a Freud fence last fall. Still haven't got to puting it all together yet. I hate building stuff twice and want to get it right the first time.

David G Baker
07-28-2007, 9:31 AM
The bed of my Delta planer is made from Corian. Works great.
The sink hole cut out is used for cutting boards frequently.