PDA

View Full Version : 12" miter saw

Jason Boushard
07-27-2007, 1:29 PM
What do you guys recommend for a 12" miter saw? I have to lug this thing around to different job sites daily so size is a factor. I have been using a workforce 10" saw and it is doing ok but there have been a few times I needed a 12" and had to improvise which costs me money in time spent on the job. The saw needs to be accurate and hold up for a long time I don't want to be buying a new saw again in 10 years. this is what I am looking at
http://www.cpomakita.com/reconditioned_tools/saws/miter_saws/ls1214-r.html

Kim Spence
07-27-2007, 1:38 PM
My 2 cents...thats a great price on the reconditioned Makita. Its a slider, and in my humble opinion sliders aren't as accurate as regular miter saws. I'll probably stir up a controversy with that statement:)

If you really need the capacity that it offers, go for it. But otherwise I'd go with a non-slider....it all depends on the type of work you do.

I own a Porter Cable 12 inch miter saw, I'm quite satisfied with it, have had it just over a year. Bosch is also highly regarded for their miter saws, they usually get top honors in the magazines.

Hope that helps.

Kim

Chuck Lenz
07-27-2007, 5:21 PM
I'd have to agree with Kim, but I have a DeWalt 12" Single compound miter saw ( Non slider ) that I've had since about the time they first came out and have been happy with it also, so happy that last year I bought the 10" version for smaller work. The only thing I can tell by just looking at the Makita 12" your looking at that I don't really care for is the trigger handle is verticle and not horizontal. Hitachi is another good brand to look at also.

Robert Strasser
07-27-2007, 5:38 PM
I have a 12 inch Dewalt single bevel miter saw and a 10 inch Makita sliding miter saw. The Dewalt has lasted many years being used mainly at job sites. It is much lighter than it looks. The Makita can cross cut 12 inch lumber, but I keep it mounted in my shop. I don't think I'd take it to a job site unless I really needed it. When I start a new furniture project I always check the alignment of the Makita. It always needs a slight 90 degrees adjustment. I also do not like the vertical handle on the Makita. I much prefer the horizontal handle for a chop saw. But I like both saws and they have performed well for many years.

Bryan Rocker
07-27-2007, 6:19 PM
You should check out the latest review of 12" CMS in the current issue of Wood Magazine. While they did a good test I was surprised to see they didn't include the Delta 12" CMS. I own and it works like a champ.

Bryan