PDA

View Full Version : Question on chisel handle patterns?

David Tiell
07-27-2007, 12:47 PM
I saw this thread on custom chisel handles.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=61117&highlight=chisel+handle

They really look great, and I need to make some new handles for an old set of Stanley 750s I've got. I really like the handles I've seen on the Blue Spruce chisels and would like something close to those. I understand that at least the thickness of the handle is an individual personal preference. But what is a good length? I would like something a little longer than the handle that came with my one LN chisel, but don't want something to turn out looking like a turning tool handle.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

TIA,

Dave

Derek Cohen
07-27-2007, 2:43 PM
Hi Dave

Those custom BS handles are some of the prettiest I have seen. Dave Jeske does beautiful work. You could do well to contact him or copy those.

I did find the LN handle to be a little short for my taste (and so went for the BS chisels), but I did like the design. Consequently, when I made up a set of handles for some mortice chisels, I made 2" longer version of the Stanley/LN handle:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Chisels/Morticechiselrestoration1.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Mike Henderson
07-27-2007, 5:50 PM
Make a few handles from scrap stock that you have around the shop. Start big (long and big around). Keep the center marks on the handle. Try the big handles - if you find them too big, put them back in the lathe and make them smaller (shorter, not so big around) - just keep your center marks.

You'll eventually find the size you like.

This process might take months. Don't rush - use the chisels for a while at each step to see how you like them.

Once you find the size and shape you like, turn the rest of the handles from whatever "good" wood you want to use for the handles.

Mike

P.S. I agree with Derek that the LN chisel handles are too short. Adding 2" to their length would be a good place to start.