PDA

View Full Version : JDS 750 vs Jet 1000B Air Cleaners???

Dan Smith
01-21-2004, 9:55 AM
Ok, ready to get an air cleaner and need some advice.

Here is how I see the break down...

JDS $290 - $25 at Amazon $265
--or $279 + 21 shipping with free electrostatic filter from Penn State

-however, amazon states Lifetime warrenty where Penn State says 10 year.

The Jet at Amazon is $200 - $25 for $175, comes with an electrostatic filter.

The JDS has more CFM but not too much (750 vs 650)

So any opinions on either or both of these units??

Thanks,

-dan

Dick Parr
01-21-2004, 10:22 AM
I love my JDS, but I got it before they started offering the free electrostatic filter. Still need to get one though. The 2 speed, variable speed is great. I had to hook it up to a swich next to my light switchs so I could turn if off with the lights. It is so quit that you can forget to turn it off.

Tyler Howell
01-21-2004, 10:40 AM
Jeff,

I have the Jet 1500. It really sucks! It's quiet! :D I like it a lot!
Empties a dusty room in no time. Three speeds and 2, 4, & 8 hour timer, it will turn itself off.

Variety of filters you can mix and match (they are pricy):mad:

Good hunting.

Tyler

PS .Electrostatic filter is washable. Prefilter is Highly recomended.

Todd Burch
01-21-2004, 2:29 PM
I have the JDS 750. I used the pleated filters for a while and then thought I would be smart and order the electrostatic. Wrong. The electrostatic does not stop near as much dust and the pleated filters, and the cloth bags fill up with dust. Much easier to swap out a pleated filter than vacuum out the cloth bags. I've never even cleaned my electrostatic filter - no need to - the dust goes straight through!! Don't waste your money on the electrostatic, or, don't perceive a free one as a value-add. My opinion.

Other than that, I do like the cleaner and it does a good job when properly filtered. You have to keep clean filters on it for it to work efficiently. You'll be surprised how quick they clog up, and think to yourself that you used to be breathing all that dust in.

Todd

Howard Acheson
01-21-2004, 2:45 PM
The JDS was one of two that were recommended in the most recents tests in Popular Woodworking or maybe Wood Magazine. The other was one Delta model. All the others, including the Jet, allowed large amounts of air around the filters that did not get filtered.

Dick Parr
01-21-2004, 3:21 PM
I forget where I got them, but I got a set of clips that velcro onto the cleaner in the front. That way I can put a cheap pre-filter in and it saves on the pleated filter. Works really good. They were only a couple of bucks. I'll see if I can find where I got them.

Byron Trantham
01-21-2004, 4:55 PM
Much easier to swap out a pleated filter than vacuum out the cloth bags. I've never even cleaned my electrostatic filter - no need to - the dust goes straight through!! My opinion.
Todd

Todd, where do you get your pleated filters? How much?

Todd Burch
01-21-2004, 5:20 PM
Home Depot. I simply put a pleated filter in front of the electro filter. I can't find the thick pleated filters (well, I haven't looked), so I prefilter the electro filter. 12" x 24" - pretty commom size. Todd.

Byron Trantham
01-22-2004, 7:18 AM
Home Depot. I simply put a pleated filter in front of the electro filter. I can't find the thick pleated filters (well, I haven't looked), so I prefilter the electro filter. 12" x 24" - pretty commom size. Todd.

Thanks Todd. I'll look today.

Jason Tuinstra
01-22-2004, 10:08 AM
Dan, I have the Jet and while it works, I've had some problems. The electric board thingy that runs the on/off switch along with the timer and the other fuctions went bad. I think I've heard of other guys having this problem. Anyway, I could have gotten a new board, but I decided to simply hardwire the fan so that it runs on high when I plug it in. It's not that loud and that's what I normally had it running at anyway. Other than this, I've been very satisfied with it's performance. Jason

Rick Haigh
01-22-2004, 10:23 AM
I have the JDS750 with the electrostatic filter. I have to agree with Todd, that the electrostatic filter does not seem to stop as much as the pleated filters.

I have tried two different brands of electrostatic filters and both seem to let too much dust through to the bag filter. I use mine all of the time and it does its job of keeping the air clean. I have been using it for about 3yrs now and no problems.

Rick