PDA

View Full Version : Blast Gate Source

Aaron Hamilton
07-27-2007, 10:00 AM
Have any of you used The Blast Gate Co? I just got 11 cast aluminum blast gates - 6 4"'s, 4 6"'s and 1 5" for $90 shipped! That is ridiculous savings over all the big time resalers. They are the manufacturer for most of the aluminum blast gates you see being resold. The have a web site - just google it. Same day shipping!

Anyone used them? Or am I the first to find this great deal?

Jim Becker
07-27-2007, 10:20 AM
'First I've heard of them.

Were I doing things again, I'd likely make my own blast gates. While that takes time, it eliminates the "problem" that all of the commercial solutions inflict...decreased flow due to the gates constricting the diameter of the duct. They all fit "inside" the duct and reduce the diameter by nearly a 1/2" in some cases due to wall thickness.

John Bush
07-27-2007, 4:34 PM
I have the Ecogate system and the automatic control of the gates is terrific. Plenty spendy but worth it when you get busy milling stock.

glenn bradley
07-27-2007, 4:44 PM
Cool. Are they the self cleaning style?

David DeCristoforo
07-27-2007, 5:02 PM
I have the Ecogate system and the automatic control of the gates is terrific. Plenty spendy but worth it when you get busy milling stock.

Seconded. Worth twice the dough they charge. Just not having to mess with turning the system on and off is blessing enough but having only the gate for the "active" machines opened is tooooo cool. And when you don't have any machines running, you don't have the DC running either. Also, to some extent addresses Jim's point about restriction because the EcoGate flanges are not as bulky as the cast alum. ones. The only thing I would criticize about this system is the completely hokey vibration sensors. These are unpredictable at best and you can end up with your DC firing up because you plopped a board down to the saw table. On my OH router, I have to tap the collet to get the bit out and the tapping is enough to trigger the system. Fortunately, they have current sensors that only add seven bucks per gate and are pretty not too difficult to install.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-27-2007, 5:04 PM
if you google "The Blast Gate Co" you don't find that company.

David DeCristoforo
07-27-2007, 5:09 PM
if you google "The Blast Gate Co" you don't find that company.

http://www.blastgateco.com/?gclid=CJKQ86bSyI0CFR2SYAodejIZEw

Fred Voorhees
07-27-2007, 6:39 PM
For anyone contemplating putting in a system and hasn't already purchased blast gates commercially - I ask that you consider making your own. I built mine and wouldn't do it any other way. First of all, my blast gates, without a doubt, work much better than many you can buy. I don't take credit for that....that goes to our own Terry Hatfield, whom I got the plans from and I beleive it was his own design. They are absolutely easy to build, very economical to build and as I said..........THEY WORK! Besides that, I had a "blast" making them. Sorry for the pun. I got them from Terry's website, which may or may not still be available. If not, you may be able to persuade Terry to supply you with them.

Ross Van Dorpe
07-27-2007, 8:53 PM
I used blast gate company and am very happy with the gates I got for the price. Bought 10 six inch and 2 four inch.

Bart Leetch
07-27-2007, 10:01 PM
Actually a blast-gate with a stop on both ends is pretty handy too. for the in & out sleeve just cut a PVC coupler in 1/2. Making it out of Melamine scraps make it slick so it is easy to use. This gate is for my Unisaw the handle makes it easy to reach & open & close.

Joe Jensen
07-28-2007, 1:52 AM

Another vote for the ecogates. I have them on 6 machines and I love them.

Matt Meiser
07-28-2007, 8:50 AM
Here's another vote for rolling your own. Mine are kind of like Barts without the nice handle. I have a stop so when you push them in, they stop when the hole is lined up. There is no stop when you pull them out so it is easy to pull them out completely when crud builds up.

Henry Cavanaugh
07-29-2007, 12:39 PM
Fred Nice blast gate. I would like to make some but couldnt find Terry to contact for plans.