PDA

View Full Version : Rosewood burl, maple burl, and two-tone amboyna burl

Patrick Taylor
07-27-2007, 3:44 AM
Here are some new Wall Street II's. This kit is really fun to make. I picked up these blanks from other members of IAP and could not be happier. They finished like a dream, particularly the rosewood.

All 3 are sealed with thin CA, finished with thick-CA/BLO, and buffed with tripoli & white diamond. Comments and critiques encouraged.

(By the way, I know I've been showing nothing but pens lately, but I swear it's like crack and I can't stop. For goodness sakes here I am at 3:40 AM and I have to go to work in the morning! still worth it, I think because the end result looks good. :) )

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1184/912912427_6d679c5789_b.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1388/913767106_fcb553140c_b.jpg

Tony De Masi
07-27-2007, 7:24 AM
Pat,

but I swear it's like crack and I can't stop

I am going to assume this is NOT from personal experience............

Mike A. Smith
07-27-2007, 8:23 AM
They look beautiful Patrick. I think the pics are great too, you can see the gloss on the pens! Did you change your photo setup any?

Philip Culver
07-27-2007, 9:07 AM
Hi - Can you further explain your finishing technique. I've used CA to seal, but haven't had good clean results. I get a muddy, dirty finish. Also, I don't know what thick/BLO is, so please explain. I love the pens. I've done the WallStreet pens that include the Acrylester blank for turning. I prefer the look of the various burls you used. Thanks for youre help.

Jeff Bower
07-27-2007, 9:33 AM
Well done Patrick! I haven't tried pens yet...maybe I won't I have a very addictive personality and you did mention they are like crack!:D

Steve Schlumpf
07-27-2007, 9:42 AM
Beautiful pens Patrick! Outstanding finishes!!

Jeffrey Fusaro
07-27-2007, 10:13 AM
nice pens, patrick. you are kickin' 'em out.

you might want to try decaf. just a thought... ;)

did you ever get the bandsaw?

woodcraft is having their 10% off sale this weekend - at least here in town.

Tom Sherman
07-27-2007, 10:48 AM
Really cool WSII's Patrick, it is easy to loose track of time sometimes when you are in the shop isn't it.

Patrick Taylor
07-27-2007, 11:09 AM
Pat,

but I swear it's like crack and I can't stop

I am going to assume this is NOT from personal experience............

Fortunately not. :)

Did you change your photo setup any?

Nope, I just improved my finish! ;) I shifted the angle and got the camera a bit closer, but not much else. I really need an SLR with a macro lens, but I don't dare start down that road. There are too many turning tools to buy!

Hi - Can you further explain your finishing technique. I've used CA to seal, but haven't had good clean results. I get a muddy, dirty finish. Also, I don't know what thick/BLO is, so please explain. I love the pens. I've done the WallStreet pens that include the Acrylester blank for turning. I prefer the look of the various burls you used. Thanks for youre help.

I use almost the same method that Russ Fairfield demonstrates on this page (http://www.woodturner-russ.com/Video.html). (thanks to Shane for the original link a while back... this method has been great for me) I sand through the micro mesh (MM) grits first, then wipe on thick CA with a single pass with a paper towel. I then immediately wipe gently with BLO (boiled linseed oil) to smooth the CA while it cures. I use plenty of BLO to make sure the curing CA doesn't get caught up on the paper towel (that's a mess). Then I repeat a few more times. (I don't sand or wipe off excess oil in between) after the last coat I use MM 1200 through 12000 and then buff with the beall system, omitting the carnuba step.

Well done Patrick! I haven't tried pens yet...maybe I won't I have a very addictive personality and you did mention they are like crack!:D

Try them! ;) They really are fun and the instant gratification is great. Also, they're easy to give away or show off. I'm working on selling mine but I'm still trying to get the word out... :rolleyes:

nice pens, patrick. you are kickin' 'em out.

you might want to try decaf. just a thought... ;)

did you ever get the bandsaw?

woodcraft is having their 10% off sale this weekend - at least here in town.

DECAF? What's that? <jitter> <twitch>

Really cool WSII's Patrick, it is easy to loose track of time sometimes when you are in the shop isn't it.

It is easy... but lately my problem seems to be starting at 11:30 and expecting to still get some sleep! Especially when I finish turning but can't go to bed without taking pictures first. :)

Thanks everyone for the kind complements, they are much appreciated. Comments from you guys mean a lot more to me than from non-spinny folks.

Patrick Taylor
07-27-2007, 11:13 AM
Oh, and Phillip, after sanding, if the wood is really porous I or a burl full of voids, I'll wet sand with thin CA to make a slurry that fills the voids. Russ demonstrates that as well in another video. I'll sand the cured thin CA with 220 or 320 through all micromesh grits before starting the thick CA and BLO. Hope that helps. Email me if you have other questions and I'll try to help out.

Bernie Weishapl
07-27-2007, 1:37 PM
Patrick those are beauties. Your finish is great Very well done.