PDA

View Full Version : Pond Voyage Gathering Yesterday.

D.McDonnel "Mac"
03-02-2003, 2:17 PM
Pond Voyage - Fade to Black

It's history! Yesterday Ernie Williams, Ray Thompson, Al Crandall, Mark Ewing, Rusty Hughes and I spent a great time at my place talking shop and reminiscing about The Pond.

The weather cooperated and nobody had to fight snow to get here. The day started out with the obligatory shop tour by the host, Me! The shop was as clean as you will ever see it but nobody brought a camera and mine was out of film so NO PIX! Sorry!

For "Show and Tell" Al brought some of his favorite bowls And I must say they were very nice! Though being a flat woodworker I don't have the appreciation that you turners would have. Mark Ewing was a brave soul and brought his first solo bowl. It was very nice and Al offered a few hints to make it better when he gets it back home. Ernie brought a Nakashima style console table made from a cherry tree cut down on their property. Very impressive! Rusty brought a jig for tablesaw cut dovetails that looks like it would work really good. You cut the pins using the jig and a dado set, then you mark out the pins and cut out the waste on the bandsaw. Trim up with a chissel and you are done! It is a blend of machine cutting and hand fitting. I might have to give it a try. Ray brought his first bowl in 40+ years. It's one Jen started at the Pond-O-Rama and he finished it up recently. Finally I got to show off my Shaker Clock and Heart shaped Jewelry box both made for my wife in years past.

Al also showed us the beginings of his and Ray's interpretation of a multi router. Look out Dan Barber you got a couple of old Tool Room guys trying to play catch-up on the cheap!

It was a great time! Wish Weston (Jen's Son) was feeling better! We missed you Jen!

We are goiing to try and do this on a bi-monthly basis here in Central Indiana after Ray's April Bash! Hope you can join us at the next one! (yes that means you!)

Mac

Ed Bartchy
03-02-2003, 3:15 PM
Mac,

Can you post a picture of that jewelry box you mentioned in your post? I'm always looking for something different for gifts.

Ed Bartchy

Ray Thompson
03-02-2003, 8:34 PM
Thanks Mac,

I always have a good time visiting your sho... er studio. For all of the Central Indiana lurkers out there this is a great way to meet folks of like interests and share a tip or two along the way. Look for another get together in June or so. In the meantime don't forget the big bash at my place April 12th.

Hey Mark, glad you got the router figured out. It will be a neat addition to your shop.

Ray

Dan Barber
03-02-2003, 9:30 PM
I look forward to seeing Al's creation in April. That's if my schedule allows it, I may have to jet off to Germany that weekend. I should find out in a couple of weeks.

Regards,

Dan

Jennifer@Indy.USA
03-02-2003, 11:47 PM
Hi All,

I sure do wish I could have been there. Things just didn't fit together for me to get there. Next time for sure!

I'll be happy to host one at my place.....perhaps an evening one on a Monday-Tues or Wed. I'm starting a 4/10hr work week this week and will need to be to work at 3pm on Saturdays now instead of 4pm ....but I get 3 days off! Woohoo :)

Jen

Al Crandall
03-03-2003, 12:46 AM
Thanks a bunch for putting up with us. It was a very enjoyable time and your shop is something to be shown off with pride. We all hope more central Indiana woodworkers show up for the next one. Al

Kurt Krauter in Indy
03-03-2003, 11:47 AM
Mac, et al....I am really sorry that I couldn't make the inaugural get together but I had to play Mr. Mom this weekend. Momma took a couple of the girls to a gymnastics competition so Daddy had to stay home with the rest of the little ones.

I did get a chance to spend a little time in my shop though.....Got to rough out a zircote bowl....we'll see how long it takes to complete.

Look forward to the April get together.

Kurt